Chapter 1

As she looked at the cliff face, suddenly everything seemed so high. She saw rocks crumble down below her, and suddenly it all began to spin. She realized she was falling off the mountain face, coming crashing down to the ground. She felt it, the solid rock smash against her head and body as she hit against the surface and rolled. Her body ached badly, and she felt cuts on her shoulder and back from how she landed.

How long was she laying there? There was no way to tell. The sun seemed to just stand still the whole time. She was in and out of consciousness many times. Their was a faint, deeper voice saying something to her. She opened her eyes as much as she could, and saw an old man in gray. He had a staff and pointy hat. She couldn't make out what he was saying to her.

Wait, who was she even? Why was she there? Where was she? What was going on?

She felt a hand touch her throat, checking if she was still alive.

"How did you fall such a height and live?" the old man said. "I'll help you, don't worry."

She heard him whistle and looked over through her blurry vision. She winced at the movement and cried out a moment. The man looked back at her.

"Don't try to move, you hurt yourself pretty bad. I'm going to take you to some friends."

She opened her eyes again and saw a white horse running up, and then it all faded into black.

"Meril! Wake up!" a familiar voice called to her happily.

She jolted up a moment, remembering where she was after her dream.

"Nolya, why do you always do that?" she asked groggily and flopped back onto her bed.

"You we're having the same dream again, weren't you?" she cheerily asked. "About the mountain?"

She was. Almost every night since it happened, Meril dreamt about when she fell off the mountain and Gandalf found her. He saved her at the bottom of the Misty Mountains. And every day for the past 10 years she still couldn't remember a single thing besides her name. She had these... flashes, but it wasn't enough to remember anything.

"Or was it a dream of your lover boy?" Nolya made kissing noises at her.

Meril took a pillow and launched it at Nolya's head, knocking her off of the edge of the bed.

"Stop that, you know that's not how it is," Meril blushed a little and put her arm over her face.

Nolya would always pick on her because of how Lord Elrond took such good care of her. Gandalf and Elrond were good friends. Nolya was a part of Elrond's inner council, but she saw the way he looked at her. Meril would never believe it, just because she was a human. Even if he was a half-elf, she couldn't believe someone as beautiful as him could be interested in her. She felt romantic interest in him, but didn't dare take it further than their usual night talks. He was always so courteous with her.

"So today is the day Gandalf comes back to check on you! Are you excited?" Nolya got up, patted herself off, and sat back down.

"Yeah, he hasn't been back since he brought me to Rivendell."

"And you still haven't remembered anything?" she had a hint of sadness in her voice.

"No, not a thing. I get these weird flashes, and always the dream about the mountain, but nothing else."

"Well, nevermind that and get dressed! He's gonna be here soon!" Nolya ran out.

Meril sat up, rubs her eyes, and saw Nolya picked out an outfit for her. A beautiful dress of white with gold embroidery. She sighed and decided to wear it, knowing it would make her happy.

She was thankful to have Nolya, otherwise she would have left Rivendell a long time ago. Honestly she felt like she had been a burden to them, even though the elves had welcomed her kindly. Nolya had instantly taken a liking to her and was basically attached to her hip. Now the man that had saved her was coming back, and she could finally thank him. Her nerves started to go, so she decided to dress and quickly leave her room in search of the kitchen.

She made her way past the elf-folk who wandered the halls and the grounds, kindly nodding her head to all of them. As she walked, she found the entrance to the kitchen and asked what they were making.

"Meril, you know by now you don't have to help us. We can do this," an elf said to her kindly and smiled.

"I-I know, I just.. Hey is that pepper cut yet? I got it," she said, and ran to wash her hands then help the elves.

It was her way of coping, she loved to cook. She felt it gave back to Lord Elrond and all the elves that helped her and have homed her the past ten years. She engrossed herself in cutting vegetables and then used tomatoes to make a sauce. As she cooked the onions and peppers, she then poured the handmade sauce over them and started to cook it as well.

All of the elves in the kitchen admired her cooking. It was exquisite! She taught them all how she cut and did things, the spices she would use for certain dishes to add a little extra flavor. Lord Elrond was honestly happier since the add in flavor. Elves were excellent cooks, excellent at anything they did. But Meril added life to it. Especially anything that was for Lord Elrond specifically. She would cook it herself. The elves noticed the deep crush she developed for their Lord, but always wondered why she never was with him romantically. They could see he did share the same feelings.

As she cooked, she heard his footsteps coming toward the kitchen. Usually she was more careful, but of course she managed to stab herself with the knife.