01

"This has been happening for as old as our oldest scriptures have recorded and it can be changed for none." The high priest spoke, his low yet firm voice reverberating through the court of almost a hundred people. He continued gently stroking his long, white beard, "The young queen is no different than others who've preceded her. The blue moon is just days away and she is already six months pregnant which means," the priest blows out a breathe before speaking again, "the time has come."

Through the sheer material of the silvery curtains, you caught the slightest glimpse of his fingers twitching. The tremor was small but it landed a blow so hard on your heart — the ache was almost unbearable. Your eyes were stinging as you were forcing back your tears. You look at your finger which had the majestic emerald ringed around it. After all that both you have went through, you didn't want him to look weak and pathetic in front of his subjects.

"It is a custom, the most divine one, ought to protect you and your subjects and your family that is yet to bloom. The defiance of the same has never been recorded. One little mistake is prophesied to have serious implications on the future of this vast kingdom, almost a paradise on Mother Earth." The minister stood up, his gaze to the beautifully carpeted floor. A few moments of silence followed before the court started getting filled with hushed voices and exclamations. 

Your husband's stony gaze switched to rest on yours, his face still devoid of any expression but those eyes spoke things that were impossible for words to convey. Your lips curved up a little, a tiny bit for his assurance though you doubted if he could see clearly through the curtain that surrounded your throne. 

He has been on his knees before your father, cuffs on his hands, scars on his body but never ever had you seen him contain this amount of weakness in him before. Even through the tortures he was put through, he had a mysterious smile on his face, something so beautiful; it was like he had descended from heaven, with all the beauty and confidence.

You didn't know why the chief minister insisted on conducting this conversation in front of the civilians but now you did. You could see it on their faces. They wanted you to go, carry on with this custom and give them the prosperity that is said to follow the successful completion of it. The sudden sense of responsibility and duty washed through you. 

When you went out of your way to impress the late king, went through years of separation and insult and finally swore your life to the country and the man forth you, you knew, you would always be expected to place the kingdom above all and you wouldn't contradict. Subjection to the country was what you had born for, trained for and you didn't want to let it go now. His eyes revert back as he lifts his hand and the huge chamber goes silent.

"The queen will depart on the day of the blue moon and will reside at the sacred tower for the next four months until the arrival of the heir to the throne." He stood up saying that, making everyone follow. People always loved watching him making decisions for them, bringing victory to them and this time too, the words uttered by him took them by their heart. Slowly, the place started filling with cheers for him, you and your unborn baby. You watch as the priest and the minister smile in relief and then at Jungkook, ascending the stairs.

The long train of cloth he wore; white at the shoulders slowly darkening to the most magnificent scarlet, spread on the floor as he walked towards the main entrance to the chamber, greeting people on his way out. Even though your heart thumped like it could break out of your skin any time, you concealed it with a smile. You were proud of him. He did what he had to. He was the first person to stand against this. It took him quite a few months to change his decision and you were glad that he did. He deserved to be the idol of his people, not a villain.