BETTE DAVIS EYES

"ʏᴏᴜ’ʀᴇ ᴀ ɴᴇᴡᴄᴏᴍᴇʀ"

"ʏᴏᴜ’ʀᴇ ᴀ ɴᴇᴡᴄᴏᴍᴇʀ"

     Diana stood in her bedroom in a black maxi dress while The Doors played on her record player. She moved to her vanity, which was just a mirror and a small stool. She applied a small amount of eyeliner to her waterline before applying mascara. Fearful thoughts of not fitting in and being disliked filled her mind. Diana grabbed her sandals and bag before walking out of the apartment. She pulled out a small sticky note with the party address. Reading it, she waved down a cab and told the driver the address.

     She arrived at the party as cars lined the street. They held the party in what she considered a warehouse. Music blared from the building, people were already camping outside and several people were smoking what she could only imagine were cigarettes or joints. She walked over to the security guard before speaking. 

     “Hi, my name is Diana Randall. I should be on the list,” she said with a small smile. The security guard looked over the list before opening the door. 
“Be responsible, Ms. Randall.” She smiled before entering the building. 
Diana looked around the room at people drinking and chatting. She looked around in fear as anxiety loomed around her. She found Paul and Daniel speaking to a blonde and a brunette. 
“Oh my god! Hi Diana!” Paul exclaimed, pulling her into an awkward embrace. She smiled as Daniel offered her a drink. 
“By the way, this is Sydney and Verano. They're in an up-and-coming band, Dear Sir. We were just talkin’ about you,” Daniel said as Sydney smiled weakly and Verano waved. 
“Oh yeah, what were you saying?” Diana asked before taking a sip of the drink Daniel had given her. Paul laughed before taking out a pack of cigarettes. 
“Not a lot, don’t worry! We were just talking about how you’re a newcomer to the city and all that,” Paul reassured her. She nodded before asking for a cigarette. 

     The party continued for hours before Paul and Daniel shut it down. Diana ended up on a couch in some room with Sydney and Verano. All three passed out. 
“Ay! Wake up you guys, the party’s over, it's time to leave!” Daniel shouted, kicking the couch and making the three jump. Diana groaned as she rubbed her eyes. 
“What time is it?” She asked as Verano and Sydney stretched and got up. She looked over at Sydney before smiling. 
“It’s about 4 am, and we have work tomorrow, my dear lady.” 

     Lighting a cigarette, Diana got up and followed the four men out of the warehouse. All of them made small talk before Paul and Daniel got into their car and Verano and Sydney climbed into a cab. 
“Hey Diana, want to ride with us?” Verano asked as Sydney rolled his eyes. 
“Yeah sure,” Diana replied as Verano opened the door and slid over. She closed the door and the cab zoomed off.  
“So Diana, we talked earlier about what you do at work and all that, but we didn’t get to know you. What about you? What made you come to Washington?” Verano asked as the sky lightened. Diana looked over at the brunette and smiled slightly. 
“I wanted to escape the northeastern weather. I wanted to start over in my life and get away from my old life.” Verano nodded in understanding as Sydney looked out of the window before muttering something.
"What did you say?” Diana asked, not hearing what he said. 
“I said, I don’t think your life was that bad.” She looked over at the blonde before scoffing. 
“Well excuse me, Mr. Know-it-all. My apologies for telling Verano my honest answer.” She spit with venom. 
Sydney sighed and rolled his eyes before looking out the car window. Time passed, and Diana was dropped off at her apartment. Verano waved from the car before getting back in it and heading off.