Chapter 14 - The Completion Effect.

Start from the beginning

That feels like a personal target. "Her father was too observant of excess stuff that had no real meaning. He claimed he was a scientist; found a way to keep someone alive again."

"I didn't know that." I admit. Maybe I shouldn't have suggested bringing both of them to the Military. One would financially, and politically be enough.

"If Raven Louvremont somehow changes in the time she is working against the Officer, I might reconsider my option. Or have an alternative," He shakes his head, still not convinced.

"Operation is still a go with Claire.
Tell Officer Striker that he has a new directive."

§

"How did you get your name?" I hold my chin.

"I hate my name." She mumbles, ignoring most of me. "Which one?" I say, seriously.

"Both of them. I have always hated the name or nicknames Claire and Timber."

"Why?" I'm generally curious now. It's interesting that a ridiculous nickname like Timber is used to represent a state thief.

"Are you really that interested, sir? I thought you would want to be hearing my answer for you but no, you want the stupid stuff." She grumbles, mumbling other stuff that I don't hear.

"You have an answer?" I repeat, a little shocked. I didn't think the conversation with Raven would go so quickly, that's either a good thing or a bag thing. She nods. "Okay, go on then."

"It's a yes." Claire replies, slowly. "If," My smile fades. Always an if or a but. "Raven stays alive. No death penalty. Put her in a maximum security prison—"

"This is a max security prison." I tell her.

"No it's fucking not. Max security my ass I got out of here more than a year ago like nothing! It took me about two weeks!" She scoffs, making a claim. Yes, she's correct.

"Where are you wanting her then?" I nod my head. She's trying to make a point. "I don't care where she is. As long as she's alive, I will work for you."

I sigh, staring at her. She's taking advantage of what I'm offering because she knows I want it, and that the government wants it. "Deal. We have a deal." I turn my head. I'm not gonna put my hand out and shake on it.

I don't know if Ballard will like this, much, but at least him and I both get what we need.

"Thank you, Carlos. I do... appreciate the second chance." Claire says, soft and gentle. It sounds nothing like her, I had never thought a girl like her could be so sympathetic.

She's a cold, dangerous, vicious criminal. Being kind isn't a part of nature, it's a tool; bribing.

"It's not a second chance," I scoff, putting some attitude back in my voice because I will not let my guard down around her. "You're not going to have it easier out there. No more robberies, you're making less amounts of money, no beautiful parts to spend on, All of that is over the moment you get into that transport truck."

"And you don't even have your best friend in your life anymore." I add on. That part hurts her. She can live without the robberies, the cars, the parts. She can't live without her best friend.