1.2 Final Goodbye

Start from the beginning

Uta smiles at Masayori as Kyoko stares at him pissed. 

"Thank you haha!" When their house came to view, Masayori ran toward it, preparing to gather the materials for his grand project. Abruptly, Kyoko stopped. 

"Kyoko, what's wrong?"

Something feels off. Very off. System? System!

"It's...I think it's nothing." Kyoko smiled at Uta, shaking her head as if trying to shrug off the cold chill premating the air. "I think I'm just imagining things."

"If you say so." With a last concerned glance at Kyoko, Uta walks into the house, searching for her son. "Masayori! Wash your hands first!"

[Host, Muzan has healed enough from the Yoriichi encounter that he has sent demons to your location. They're planning to kill Uta and Masayori.]

After the heart  to heart conversation that happened more than a year ago, the system occasionally allowed Kyoko to access information on a character's whereabouts and actions.

How long until they get here?

[Calculating...approximately 6 hours.]

She narrowed at the sun nestling itself within the mountain tops. 

How far is the next village?

[If you leave, the village you're currently living near would be in danger.]

Yoriichi, curse you and your horrible luck.

"Uta." Kyoko began, "Pack up your things and leave."

"Huh?"

"Uta, trust me. Pack up only the necessities and leave. Bring Masayori with you."

Kyoko enters the house and stares at the mother son duo taking off their sandals.

"Kyoko, what's wrong-"

"Your husband made a terrible mistake, now someone's coming for you."

Kyoko's eyes clashed with the worried and confused obsidian. 

"Quickly, Uta, take your stuff and leave. Trust me."

Uta slowly nodded as she headed towards the bedroom.

"Onee-san, what's going on?"

"Your haha is going to bring you on an adventure! Didn't you want some inspiration for your gift?"

"...But I don't want to go." Masayori hugged Kyoko's legs. "Well you be coming with us? Can we stay home? I'm tired."

Can we stay home? I'm tired.

Those familiar words. Kyoko hardened her voice. "Masayori, your mom and you will need to leave the house for a bit. I need you to find the perfect present for your father, ok?"

"NO!" Masayori sobbed. "I don't know what you're doing onee-san, but it feels bad. Very bad!"

"Masayori, come here." Uta appears at the door, carrying some bags of food and clothing. "Don't bother Kyoko-san right now. It's just an adventure right? If we make it fast, we would be able to catch your chichi walking home!"

"....but onee-san will-"

"Onee-san is an adult, she can protect herself Masayori. Come one, let's go." Kyoko watched with a heavy heart as the mother son pair walked further and further away. She decided to sit there, accepting her fate.

"System, if I died, I would be reincarnated right?"

[That's right host.]

"Then this isn't bad after all." Kyoko laughed as she hears crackling outside the house. "Come out demon, I can hear you."

"You must be the one the lord sent us to kill? No, she doesn't have that slayer's smell on her. Where's his wife? If you tell me, I'll make sure your death is painless."

A demon walked into the moonlit courtyard, casting their greedy eyes on her. "Hmm your quite young. You'll still be a tasty snack."

"That's only if you could touch me."

"What-"

A nichirin sword glints with fresh blood as the demon's shoulder bled profusely. "YOU DARE TOUCH ME? A MERE HUMAN?"

This is it isn't it?

Kyoko watched as the demon came closer and closer. Time slowed down as if it, too, recognized her end is near and wanted her to enjoy her last seconds of peace.

This is the end.

Pain as her abdomen got pierced by sharp claws. She felt as if she's showering in hot molten lava. Closing here eyes, she smiled.

Uta, Masayori, Yoriichi, I'm sorry.

_________________________________________________________