bachelorette blues

Start from the beginning

Claire, looking between them both, claps her hands together.
"Great! Shall I prepare a bed?"
Naya is glad that she isn't partying with these people. They have an air of self importance. And perhaps Sophie wasn't entirely excluded from the trait, but she'd grown to love her posh naivety.
"Actually, I'm not staying. But thank you." Naya replies.
"Just for tea, then?" Claire asks, turning to the other girls.
"We'd like that, wouldn't we?"

The others agree enthusiastically, although Naya can tell it isn't entirely genuine. She hasn't met any of them before, she might have reacted the same if the roles were reversed.
Sophie senses Naya's discomfort.
"We'll grab my things first. Meet you inside?"
Claire shakes her head. "Oh, no need. I'll have someone unload those for you."
Then it's Sophie's turn to shake her head.
"Really, we've got it covered."
Claire shrugs and motions for the gaggle to head indoors again.

As soon as they've disappeared, the two girls swing towards each other.
"You don't have to stay if you don't want to, she just wants to get to know you."
"Well, I promised my dad I'd be at his art show this afternoon. I'd love to meet all your friends but I'm not sure I'll make it if I stay."

Sophie can see right through her, but she can't be angry.
"I understand. I run in... Different circles. If you have to go, that's okay. But I'd really love it if you hung around. Even just for a few minutes. If you need an excuse to get out I've got you covered."
Naya scoffs.
"Since when did you start talking like that?"
"Like what?"
"Like me."
Sophie grins, bumping her shoulder against Naya's.
"You've had some sort of influence on me. Whether it be good or bad, I can't tell."
"Never mind," Naya retaliates, "the slang is gone."
"Pity."

She sighs and rolls her eyes.
"You win, rich kid. I'll pop in for a bit."
"Thank you," Sophie's smile is a thankful one.

They move indoors, following the sound of chatter from eight rich gossips.
"Ah! You decided to have tea," Claire notices, without the enthusiasm to convince Sophie and Claire that she's actually pleased about it.
"If you don't mind. So what do you do, Claire?"

Claire lights up at the mention of her own name. She adores talking about her profession and rightly so.
"Well, I run a clothing brand. In fact, these are part of my autumn lounge collection," she motions at her silky attire which is notably expensive.
"Wow. That's impressive."
"What do you do?"

Naya smiles. She also likes talking about her job. But to some, it doesn't appeal. She realises she may not be playing to the right audience but Claire had asked a question and in the effort to make friends like Sophie wants, she answers honestly.
"I'm a journalist. I usually interview the most popular musical groups I can find and write pieces about them."
"Oh..." Claire glances at Sophie, but pulls herself together when she realizes that her best friend is frowning at her.
"That sounds interesting," she attempts.
"Yeah, I really love doing it."

Sophie watches on as her two friends try to find similar ground. She offers prompts wherever she can, but it's of no use.
Claire's bridesmaids look at the alternative journalist with curiosity and slight distaste. It wasn't an entirely unexpected reaction.

Naya shifts under their gaze uncomfortably.
"Um, can you point me to your bathroom?"
"Sure. Up the hall on your left," Claire smiles sweetly. But as soon as Naya has disappeared, she slumps in her chair.
"You must be joking, Sophie. If this is your idea of a suitable friend, I think you're gravely mistaken."