Chapter 10

"...p-powers?" Ivypaw gasped, looking up at Snowflake. The medicine cat had cornered her and told her of her powers... if they existed. "That's... impossible..."

"Shut up," Snowflake said sharply. "They are as real as a mouse."

"I can't do anything special!" Ivypaw gasped. "I'm just normal-" Snowflake lashed her tail. "You will find it... soon. It is inside you."

As the white she-cat padded away, Ivypaw felt as if her paws had been rooted to the ground. Powers... No way!  Then she remembered the prophecy Ashdawn had given. Was she one of the cats with the magic... thing? A shiver ran up her spine. 

"Ivypaw! Dawn patrol!" Dawnstripe called.

"NoOoOooOOooo..." Ivypaw grumbled. She ran to catch up with the patrol.

~

"Attacking our camp?! That was cowardly, ShadowClan scum," The deputy of RiverClan growled at the patrol. While checking the border of RiverClan, they had come to a RiverClan patrol. Both patrols were tossing insults at each other. 

"Can we please leave?" Rosepaw, the other apprentice on the patrol whispered uncomfortably. She was looking at a pale brown apprentice on the RiverClan side of the border...Acornpaw. Dawnstripe stalked away, hissing at the patrol once more. Ivypaw felt Rosepaw sigh. "Ugh, why did we have to attack RiverClan anyway?"

"We have to be loyal," Ivypaw said, shifting her paws. Rosepaw said nothing as they padded back to camp in uncomfortable silence.

~

 When Ivypaw reached the camp, her paws felt like they were about to drop off. She curled into her nest for a nap.

Ivypaw woke in a starry meadow. "Huh!?" she mewed, confused. "Hi."

The mew from behind her startled Ivypaw and she spun around. There was a star-flecked white she-cat behind her. "U-um," the she-cat said. "Hi, I'm Doveshade."

Ivypaw blinked at her. Doveshade coughed. "Oh, this is embarrassing. Why did they send me to do it!? I'm not even ShadowClan, Sorrelsnake is ShadowClan, and I don't know how to act around kits. Agh," she muttered. 

"Hey! I'm not a kit..." Ivypaw said angrily. "And... I know you. You're that RiverClan cat that saved a kit from being run over by a monster."

"That's me." Doveshade seemed pleased to be recognised.  

"Why are you speaking to me?" Ivypaw said. 

"What Snowflake said was true. You do have powers... but she is not to be trusted. 

"She doesn't share with StarClan."

"What?!" Ivypaw gasped. "She shares in the Place Of No Stars," Doveshade said.

The starry clearing started to fade. "Do not trust her, Ivypaw. And find your power quick."

Ivypaw gasped, waking from her dream. Woah...

She peeked out of her den. The camp was empty, save for queens, elders and a few warriors. Ivypaw slipped into a dark corner. What was her power? She frowned, brushing her tail across the bracken fronds. It would be so cool to camouflage in the darkness. She could be invisible, or turn into whatever colour she wanted to be. She envisioned herself as a black, shadowy cat.

...

Oh well stop dreaming, Ivypaw. She stepped out of the fronds of bracken and gasped.

Clouds of black were creeping through her fur.