Prologue

Sorrelsnake glanced at the other cats. The stars in her fur glistened, and she mewed in disgust.    "Apprentices? You trusted our future with naive young cats??"  The flame-colored tom bristled. "You know better than to speak like that, Sorrelsnake." She turned around in shock. 

"Firestar. Bluestar. Cinderpelt," she said, acknowledging the tom and his half-faded comrades standing beside him. " I'm sorry... but... couldn't you have graced this to older warriors? " 

"What's done is done," Bluestar meowed. "And we expect you to help them." 

"M-me?" Sorrelsnake said. "Just me?" 

"Doveshade and Sunpelt can help you," Firestar said. 

"Oh, great" the golden tom, Sunpelt, whispered to the white and blue she-act beside him.  "It's you and me out on the lake then, Doveshade." "Don't get any ideas," she whispered back. "We're dead." "Precisely," Sunpelt smirked at Doveshade's eye roll.

"Why us? I mean, I know that I've been here for ages, but those two died like, don't know, very recently!" Sorrelsnake argued. 

"Too bad," Bluestar snapped. "But why?" Sorrelsnake yowled. "We're dead, for StarCaln's sake!"

" Sorrelsnake, we are trusting you. You three died unfairly... maybe if you succeed, you can get a second chance at life," Cinderpelt mewed.

Suddenly, it was a lot quieter.

"Okay," Sorrelsnake mumbled, Sunpelt and Doveshade following suit.

Firestar turned to Cinderpelt. "Why are you promising things we can't give?" he mewed quietly.

She mewed back, her voice grave.

"It's that... or death."