11 .⋆. Heartache

・゚゚・。 Dom had woken up in her hut, bandages on her knuckles

・゚゚・。 Dom had woken up in her hut, bandages on her knuckles. She looked around, spotting Neteyam cutting fruit.

"What were you thinking?" He asked, his tone sharp. Dom flinched as she sat up.

"I don't understand." She whispered, cradling her hand in her lap.

"No. I don't understand. Why did you run away and fall asleep on the rocks. You could've been hurt!"

"I didn't go outside the reef and I know how to take care of myself." Dom reasoned.

"Is that so? Because I'm pretty sure you needed me to save you when Ao'nung's friend had you." Neteyam set the knife down, standing up.

Standing up as well, Dom was growing furious. "That's not fair. Why are you being like this?"

"Kiri asked for you. She was hurt when Norm said you had run off." Neteyam glared down at her. Dom was hurt that he'd assume the worst of her, but deep down she understood that he was protecting his sister. But her anger refused to let her be rational.

"Did you even think to ask him why I ran off? Or did you just assume the worst of me because I'm human?" She shouted, standing her ground.

"Don't do that. You know I don't care that you're human. You grew up with us, so I expected more from you."

"Okay, you know what? I'm so sorry that I have my own things to deal with. I'm sorry that I've been mourning my brother by myself because you all moved on so fast. You're all so happy all the time, living life like he never existed. He's my brother! I can't just hear that there's been no sign of him, no proof that he's alive, and then put on a fake smile and act like everything's fine!" Dom looked down, ripping her mask off so she could angrily wiping her tears away.

"Stop that." Neteyam's voice was quieter than before. "Dominique I said stop!" His voice grew more loud as he pulled her hands off her face. "You're going to hurt your eyes." He gently wiped her tears away, frowning when he realized she was shaking. He pulled her mask back over her face, letting her catch her breath.

Dom backed up, wrapping her arms around herself as she sat down, looking as small as she felt. She silently cried, feeling awful for hurting Kiri. She jumped when Neteyam rested his hand on her arm as he kneeled in front of her.

Slowly, she looked up at him. Worry and regret was sketched onto his face as he slipped her mask off and cupped her cheek, using his thumbs to wipe away her tears again. When he removed his hands, Dom put her mask on and took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "I should've realized you were hurting."

"You all seemed so happy. I didn't want to bring your mood down."

Neteyam gently pulled her into a hug, running a hand through her hair. "I'm sorry for yelling. I never should have assumed you would hurt Kiri. She was very sensitive when she woke up and it pained me to see her like that. I shouldn't have assumed the worst of you."