First of Her Name

CHAPTER TWENTY

First of Her Name

Alana's POV

ONE MONTH LATER

The great sept had an echo no matter how many people filled it's walls. The ceiling was so high that when I looked up to see all the artwork that had been carved into it, my neck was in so much pain and I felt dizzy.

I had not been in the great sept since I was a child. Mother used to bring me here for funerals and one time my father brought me here to show me where the Targaryens had been laid to rest. Or what was left of most of them that is.

As a child I thought because I was small that this sept seemed so large. Turns out that even in adulthood this place is monstrous. The entire city was flooding in through the doors and all them cheered my name and smiled as they looked at me at the top of the steep steps that led up to the dais.

Robb stood beside me wearing a long cloak that was dark grey with the Stark house sigil embroidered onto it. His armor was brand new and glistening in the light that came in from the windows of the sept. The stained glass casting all colors of the rainbow to fill the room.

I found myself forgetting to breathe at times. Each time I looked at Robb I sucked in another breath of excitement.

He looks so fucking good.

Filling my lungs with the air of the sept I held my breath for a moment and then released it. Down at the bottom of the steps stood all those I love most. My four beautiful children, Sansa, Arya, Brandon and Rickon. Staring up at me as they wore small crowns and tiaras.

Today is my coronation ceremony, and Robb's as well. We were already crowned in Winterfell as King and Queen in the North but now we ruled the Seven Kingdoms as a whole. Today I will look over only a portion of the people I have vowed to rule over and protect. And still, it's hundreds of thousands of people flooding in through those doors and many more waiting outside, filling the streets of the city.

All for me...

Crimson silks draping down my body as a golden cloak lay on my shoulders. A golden pin on my heart of the crowned stag, engraved on it the initials of both my uncles, Stannis, and Renly who both lost their lives for me to be here right now.

I looked back at the bottom of the steps again and saw that Rickon was getting antsy but only to be tamed and calmed down by my sweet cousin, Daenerys Targaryen. This was her first time in this city and being in the great sept. Both our ancestors and hers laid to rest just below us. I wondered if she knew where each family member was buried and how they had died they way my father had told me.

Even as a young girl their faces and names haunted me. This place frightened me and yet also fascinated me. People came here when they had died. Others came here to be crowned and some died shortly after. Even some skulls of dragons were beneath these floors.

My mother and my brothers both came up the steps. Myrcella waited down below with the other children. Joffrey and Tommen each taking one of my mother's arms and escorting her up the steep steps of the great sept.

Mother's jewels were jingling with each step she took. The diamond hairnet on her updo glistening and jingling. Each step was followed by the strum of instruments playing her house's song. The Rains of Castamere.

The lute playing a soothing tune as my mother hummed the words loudly. I looked to Robb and grinned. He did not have to allow my mother to come stand up here with us, but he did for me. My king husband knew that I was trying to fix the broken relationship with my mother and her family.