As her racing heart gradually steadied, Maria pondered the tangled web of her current situation. She knew that acting impulsively out of anger would only lead to more pain and regret. What she needed was a clear mind and a rational plan of action.

She reached out to her phone and dialed Charlotte's number. Her friend picked up after a few rings, her voice filled with genuine concern.

"Are you feeling better now?" Charlotte asked, her tone comforting.

Maria nodded, even though her friend couldn't see her. "Yes, a little. Thank you for urging me to pull over. It allowed me to calm down and think more clearly."

Charlotte's voice brimmed with support. "I'm glad to hear that. So, what's your plan? How do you want to approach this situation?"

Maria took a moment to gather her thoughts and sighed. "I don't know yet. I think I need a nap. I'm tired of all this," Maria replied wearily, her voice heavy with exhaustion and frustration.

"Okay, then. Take care," Charlotte responded understandingly, her tone filled with empathy. They bid each other farewell and ended the call.

Feeling drained and emotionally overwhelmed, Maria started her car and made her way back home. As she parked and stepped into her house, she was greeted by her husband, John, who appeared apprehensive, sensing her anger.

"Why the heck did you go and meet my mom? Huh? How dare you?" Maria unleashed her fury, her words sharp and biting. "You cheat on me, father a child, and still have the audacity to seek forgiveness from my mom?"

"Riri- "John attempted to interject, but Maria's anger continued to surge.

"I thought I warned you never to call me that. You've lost the right to." she snapped, interrupting his attempt to address her.

"I'm sorry. Maria, please, I love you. Please forgive me. I've cut off ties with the mother of my child. Please." John pleaded, his voice filled with remorse.

"I don't give a damn about that, John. Now tell me, if I hadn't found out, would you have ended things with her? Or even bothered to tell me about the child?" Maria's voice trembled with a mix of anger and disappointment.

John averted his eyes, weighed down by shame, unable to provide an answer.

Maria let out a bitter chuckle. "That's what I thought."

"Maria -" John started, his voice pleading.

Maria raised her hands, halting his words. "Not a single word from you."

She turned away, leaving John standing there, his silence a testament to the pain he had caused. Maria retreated to another room, seeking solace and time alone to process her feelings, her mind and heart weary from the turmoil that had enveloped her life.

.⋅ ۵♡۵ ⋅.

The next day, John mustered up the courage to face Maria, his heart heavy with remorse and a glimmer of hope. He knew that he had caused her immense pain, but he was determined to make amends.

As he approached their home, John carried a mix of emotions. In his arms, he cradled his two-year-old son, Lucas, a child he had fathered during his affair. While his actions were inexcusable, he hoped that Maria would find it in her heart to accept his son, despite the circumstances.