"You know you can't have a child, and John has been so patient with you. He waited for years, which not many men would do. You just have to endure this pain, and eventually, it will heal," her mother explained, trying to rationalize her perspective.

Maria's bitterness rose. She had always yearned to become a mother, but medical complications had dashed that dream. She loved John, but his infidelity had left her feeling betrayed and broken. The idea of accepting his actions seemed unbearable.

"It will never heal, Mum. I can't pretend that everything is fine when it's not. I won't sacrifice my self-respect and happiness just to maintain the appearance of a picture-perfect marriage. I'm deeply hurt, and I can't accept his infidelity. I won't be like you." Maria said firmly.

"Maria -" her mother began, but Maria's anger got the better of her. She slammed her cup down and stormed out of her parents' house.

Maria swiftly entered her car and drove away from her parents' neighborhood, consumed by anger. She couldn't fathom why her own mother would support her cheating husband, who had even fathered a child outside of their marriage. As she drove, her phone rang, and she noticed it was Charlotte calling.

"How did it go?" Charlotte inquired, her concerned voice echoing through the car speakers.

Maria kept her eyes fixed on the road ahead, replying with a heavy heart, "It went terribly. I'm angry."

"Why? What did your mother say?" Charlotte asked, concerned, trying to make sense of the situation.

"She's telling me to stay with him. Can you believe that? That despicable man. I wish I could make him suffer." Maria seethed, her voice trembling with a mixture of resentment and hurt.

"Oh my goodness! So, what are you going to do now?" Charlotte questioned, her voice filled with concern and compassion.

Maria sighed, feeling the weight of her predicament. "Honestly, I don't know yet. Right now, I'm just overwhelmed by anger and profound disappointment and deeply hurt. I can't believe he had the nerve to meet my mom and beg for forgiveness."

Sensing her friend's distress, Charlotte implored, "Listen, you need to calm down and gather your thoughts. Are you still driving?"

Reluctantly, Maria admitted, "Yes, I am."

Charlotte's worry intensified. "Please, pull over. I can't bear the thought of you getting into an accident while we're talking."

Recognizing the wisdom in her friend's words, Maria found a safe spot by the roadside and parked her car.

"I've pulled over," Maria informed Charlotte, her voice tinged with resignation.

"Good. Now, I want you to take a deep breath, take a few minutes to compose yourself, and try to remain calm. Only resume driving when you feel capable of doing so safely, okay?" Charlotte advised.

"Okay, thank you. I'll call you as soon as I can," Maria agreed, appreciative of her friend's support.

With their conversation concluded, both friends bid each other farewell and ended the call.

Maria took a few moments to collect herself, allowing the weight of her emotions to settle. The stillness inside the car provided a temporary sanctuary from the turbulent storm of anger and hurt that raged within her. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and slowly exhaled, willing herself to regain a sense of composure.