"I'll explain," the young medicine cat mews quietly, withdrawing from the RiverClan medicine cat's intense gaze.

Rabbitwhisker leans forward from his position to the left of Ivyhawk's seat, squinting intently at his fellow medicine cats.

Hailwatcher finds it difficult to tell whether the WindClan medicine cat has trouble seeing or just acts the way he does because he wants to, but dismisses the thought.

"Oh, it's you," the pale tom quips, twitching an ear.

"..Hey," Hailwatcher mutters, glancing at the gathered RiverClan, WindClan, and SkyClan warriors and letting out a quiet sigh.

Ivyhawk assumes his previous sitting position after a few moments, and Mossyspots sits down on the other side of Rabbitwhisker; the two exchange glares before turning away from one another.

Bewildered, Hailwatcher crouches down between Beechfoot and Ivyhawk, pressing closely to the former's side.

"So what happened in ShadowClan? We saw the blood at the Moonpool and got worried," Ivyhawk mews urgently, his previously worried expression darkening.

Profoundly unprepared to bring up the topic again, Hailwatcher clears his throat with a rumble clearly intended to fill the resulting silence.

"..Well, a while ago, when he was still deputy, Slightstar..he killed a warrior out in the woods. And..I saw it. His cats caught me and he made me swear not to say anything...or he'd kill me."

Beechfoot crouches down to curl around Hailwatcher, perhaps sensing that things will get rough.

Ivyhawk listens intently, tufted ears twitching.

"So that's how it was for a little while..and then- well...he killed Willowstar. On the way to the Moonpool, because we were supposed to be seeking guidance for what to do about Birchstorm 'disappearing'."

Hailwatcher again attempts to clear his throat after feeling it tighten, but it only gets worse.

"Breathe, kiddo," Beechfoot murmurs into the little gray tom's ear, curling a little bit tighter around him.

Hailwatcher obliges, taking in a deep breath and gripping the ground below him with stiff paws.

"..Um..anyway. After that was when you all came to discuss that alliance..."

"-Speaking of that," Ivyhawk interjects, picking up after Hailwatcher trails off into silence, "-the alliance went through, in case you were wondering about it."

The young medicine cat sighs, recalling the uncomfortable image of Shellstar and Snowflash flirting with each other during the alliance meeting.

Rabbitwhisker loudly smooths down his pelt with rough, precise strokes, eavesdropping passively.

"..A little while after that," Hailwatcher continues with a shudder, noticing Mossyspots getting increasingly agitated, "-Slightstar got mad after I got a bit too close to telling soemone, I guess...so his cats beat me up until I passed out.."

Ivyhawk grimaces, a strange recollection flashing in his eyes.

"..Wow. I'm..I'm sorry. That's terrible."

Not sure how to respond, Hailwatcher decides to nod along and just continue talking.

Beechfoot comfortingly smooths down the tuft of fur on the gray tom's head, making him feel a bit better.

"Slightstar's mate saw what happened to me... a while after they left she woke me up and said she was leaving. And..I came with her, and now we're staying in SkyClan."