Chapter One

Revised Oct 22nd, 2023

Hailpaw trudges through ShadowClan's damp undergrowth, staring forlornly at his paws.

Managing to ignore- or at the very least, tolerate- the anxiety causing his gait to uncertainly quiver becomes harder with each step.

Starting to regret declining Willowstar's offer for an escort to the Moonpool- perhaps some company would serve to dispel the loneliness that followed him everywhere- he pushes forward.

Hailpaw quickens his pace, though no excitement is present in his demeanor.

The naming ceremony he'd set out to attend feels to him more like a reason for more cats to pity him.

The debacle to him seems only to serve as another reminder that his mentor is no longer here to help make the world seem less frightening.

Noticing the faint sound of rushing water, Hailpaw glances up at the winding dirt trail up to the Moonpool.

Pausing a moment to take in a few deep breaths and prepare himself, Hailpaw takes a single but hesitant step onto the pathway.

"Almost there," he murmurs, trying to psych himself up.

Discovering that some of his nerves have dissipated, Hailpaw increases his speed to a brisk trot and hurries up the slope.

-=-

The reddish light filtering through the tree canopy dapples Hailpaw's splotched gray-and-white pelt as he quietly enters the clearing.

The sound of rushing water is much more prominent now; the luminous waterfall feeding into the Moonpool sprays a mist of ice-cold water into the air.

Hailpaw hazards a glance at the other medicine cats gathered on the other side of the Moonpool, fidgeting awkwardly as he waits for someone to notice him.

After a good few moments of near-silence, Hailpaw tentatively approaches the gathered healers.

"...Hello, everyone," he mumbles, immediately feeling very awkward.

Starlingclaw of ThunderClan notices the young cat's presence first, nudging his apprentice, Ashpaw, to stand as he rises and approaches Hailpaw.

"Hey, Hailpaw," Starlingclaw mews gently, brow furrowed in a display of concern that the gray and white tom determines to be somewhat genuine.

"You doing alright?" The black tom flicks an ear as Ashpaw trots to his side and beams reassuringly at Hailpaw.

Hailpaw nods unconvincingly, managing to smile half-heartedly back at the ThunderClan cats but unsure of his ability to speak.

Starlingclaw lets out a hum of acknowledgement, his tail flicking back and forth; he remains silent for a few heartbeats.

"I know this is a difficult time, Hailpaw, but you'll get through it. Have faith that StarClan is guiding you."

Hailpaw nods again, having occupied himself with maintaining his wavering balance.

"..Thanks."

"Of course," Starlingclaw replies kindly, taking a step back to return to his spot next to an oak tree.

After a nod and a tail flick to Hailpaw, Ashpaw does the same and sits back down next to her mentor.

Feeling inexplicably unsatisfied by the interaction, Hailpaw expels a shaky breath and approaches the SkyClan medicine cats, Beechfoot and Mossyspots.

"Hey, kiddo," Beechfoot mews as Hailpaw takes a seat next to him.

"Hi, Beechfoot," Hailpaw murmurs, glancing up at the senior medicine cat.