Game on ChArles

The door to my bedroom swings open without a warning knock even though there is a neon sign pasted to it asking people to knock. My brother stomps his way in looking very much like a Neanderthal with a closet from J Crew, "why aren't you ready yet?"

"Because I'm in my natural habitat," I said gesturing to my bed, white comforter, and mountain of pillows.

He huffs and shifts his weight to the opposite leg, "that's not an answer Penny."

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my genius of a brother. Practically the next Einstein or Tesla. I'm joking - Mason barely passed remedial math on his first try. Luckily for him, having a masters in mathematics will not be a requirement when he becomes Beta. Still, I sometimes tease him that he might not be able count how many members are in our pack since it's in the triple digits and he can only go up to ten.

Sighing, I reach over and place another fluffy pillow on my lap. "Mason, what's the date today?" I ask slowly as if speaking to a child.

"It's June 2," he replies back.

"Yes! It's June 2. Basically, the second most important day of this year after my birthday. And why is it the second most important day of the year?"

Mason scoffs and runs his fingers through his hair. He's currently going through an early Justin Bieber hair phase and let me tell you - it does not look good on him. "Yeah, because it's-"

"Exactly!" I shout interrupting him. "It's finally June 2nd and Tuesdays are awesome again. Pretty Little Liars is back and it's the summer of answers. And I better be getting my god damn answers right now." I throw my hands into the air as I gesture wildly, "they better give me some answers; like who the fu*ck is Charles? Why is he doing this? And what about Ezria? They're my otp."

Mason's left eye twitches and I know it only does that when he's majorly annoyed. "Penelope," he growls. I can see his irises getting brighter as his wolf tries to push through. "Today is Ryders birthday. You know it and I know it. And we both know that we both have to be there."

"Big whoop that it's your best friends birthday," I say sarcastically while turning my attention to my fluffy pillow.

"He's also our soon to be alpha." Giving me a smug smile, Mason uttered the words that I absolutely detested to hear, "and he's also your mate."

...

Being a werewolf who doesn't have a wolf sucks. It's a paradox. I am supposedly a werewolf because both my parents and siblings are, but I'm not a werewolf at the same time.

It's rare, but it can happen. Most wolves appear by the age of 12 and the shift occurs by 14. If it hasn't happened by then, you're pretty much out of luck. Basically like a human without being able to shift into a wolf, but with slightly faster reflexes than the average person.

It's not like you're shunned or forced to become the pack slave or something. The werewolf community as a whole is pretty accepting. That doesn't mean there aren't some purists who believe that we should be shunned, but those people are typically rogues or off their rockers.

Overall, I wasn't treated any differently by anyone and I had even met a few others like me. My not having a wolf wouldn't have been such a problem if my mate wasn't Ryder Black.

...

I met my mate in utero. He basically pointed his pudgy play dough covered fingers at my mothers belly and screamed 'MINE'.

That's also how my parents found out that my mom was pregnant. At first, everyone thought Ryder had a cute little toddler crush on my mom. Until, it became painfully obvious that he didn't give a tiny rats ass about my mother, but only about her belly. Luckily for him, my dad thought it was so sweet that Ryder was kind of obsessed with his unborn daughter.