(Chapter 2) HUH... Who ARE you?

"Mama... mom... I'm sorry ma... I'm sorry m-mum..." I mumble, unaware of my surroundings for I am in a deep slumber. Wait, then how am I typing this-

"Hey! UHH... are you ok?" A cheery voice piped up.

I slowly open my eyes and wince--bright sunlight all up in my face. Stinging the shit out of my eyes. My ankles dug in something sharp, prickly but flexible- grass.

Some kid with spiky green hair and a weird monochromatic fashion choice was standing over me with the biggest smile on his face. No exaggeration. I squint and groan, straining to see through the bright rays of sunshine. Was that ... a fishing pole dangling above his head?

"Hey weirdo! Are you lost or something? You kept saying how much you miss your mommy in your sleep

"Hey weirdo! Are you lost or something? You kept saying how much you miss your mommy in your sleep." The kid grins, pulling one of his eyes down to stretch the skin and sticks out his tongue. (I don't know it's an anime thing.)

"Huh...who ARE you?" I panicked, using the heels of my feet and the palms of my hand to push against the ground, crawling backwards from this boy. "Whe-where am I?! Tell me NOW."

I didn't mean to be so harsh. But I've had lucid dreams before... and this felt more terrifyingly real than any of them. Can you blame me? I'm scared and unfamiliar with my surroundings.

The boy shrugs and sits down cross-legged, just a few feet in front of me. He didn't move from his original position, almost like he was silently obeying my need for personal space.

He closes his eyes and stretches one arm after the other, torso bending in the direction of whichever arm used. "Mm? You're on Whale Island! Duhhh. Where else did you think we were?"

"I..-oh. Whale island? Of course! Well, now I know where I am! I'M STILL CONFUSED." I glared, sitting up and matching his pose, also crossing my legs.

He rubbed the back of his head with his right hand and opened his eyes, squinting at me.

Like i was the weirdo.

You're the one wearing all green like a leprechaun. And your hair stands unnaturally.

He giggled at you, amused with your behavious. "Okayy stranger.. You just kind of appeared out of a blue portal made of air and light and caused-- a MASSIVE mini tornado. I thought it looked cool! Hmm, at least from the distance anyway.. so I ran STRAIGHT over! Aaand there you were. Huddled in a little ball like a fetus or.. a baby cat? Oh, and crying for your mommy for some reason." He rambled passionately, having a cheerful carefree disposition.

The kid continues, tapping his chin and looking upward in thought. "Soo, I know you're not from here. Also.. not to be rude BUT--! I can totally tell just by looking at you," He pointed his finger at me, smiling again.

"If that portal doesn't come back anytime soon, I.. guess you'll be stuck here with me. But hey- that's not so bad! So don't worry, stop your pouting. I'm Gon! Gon Freeccs. You can stay with me and my aunt Mito! At least until that portal opens again. We live just abouuut-" He grunted and literally, quite literally, jumped to his feet. A whole 3 seconds of airtime before his feet hit the ground. "THAT WAYYYY!" He exclaimed, now facing away from me and pointing in the opposite direction.

"....uh." I spoke in a whisper, face twisted in confusion. This kid was weirdly eccentric and polite to a stranger he just met.. not even 5 minutes ago. OR at least I think it was five minutes for me.

Knowing him... and from his earlier testimony, he probably stared at my sleeping body for HOURS before I woke up. With big, wide eyes filled with pure joy and curiosity. Yeah, that's definitely what happened.

I sigh and rub my temples, sipping in air slowly through my nostrils. ("Think Y/N... think.") How would I even begin to get home? But when I looked up to say something, he'd already started walking ahead of me. Long confident stride and stiff arms swinging high in the air, marching like the band kids I made fun of with my friends.

(I have no friends and I'm one of the band kids.)

"Um.. wha-HEY. Wait up! I don't know my way around here?!" I yelped, jogging after him. My bare feet crunch against the dirt path. He giggled loudly and kept walking, buuut I noticed his stride decreased in speed to allow me to catch up. Just a little.

I catch my breath and wrinkle my nose, shooting him a confused glare. "... Gon?"

He stops, turning his head to look at me. "Huh?" His eyes flicker over my face curiously. He was waiting to hear what I had to say. "Yeah? What's up."

"Where are you going?" I roll my eyes.

"Home silly! I'm getting hungryy.." He yawned, stretching his arms over his head as he walked.

"Well-" I started. And then I thought about it. I hadn't eaten anything since that nasty sausage spaghetti dinner last night. Or was that a day ago? I don't remember.

I don't have any allergies or anything, but who knows what kind of weird things they cook on this island. Probably a variety of seafood, game, and.. bugs? Rude as it may be, I'm willing to bet it's an accurate assumption.

I clear my throat, continuing. "What kind of food does your aunt usually mak-"

"RACE YA." He nodded to me grinning like a madman, then turned straight ahead and took off running. Almost at the speed of light! Leaving a literal dust cloud in his path.

"Oh, come on..." I grumble to myself, stomping my foot. Better get a move on before I'm stuck in the dark. I also hate the forest.

"HEYY... wa-Wait up!" I giggle and run after him.

x

THIS EPISDOES HUNTERPEDIA!! -- Definition of some or 1 word(s)

Ex sentence: "Probably a variety of seafood, game, and.. bugs?"

Word 1:  "Game" the meat from any land animal that is hunted for food, and is not typically raised on farms. (Example of game meat - bear, bison, antelope, caribou, deer, elk, moose, reindeer, wild boar, snake, alligator, rabbit, squirrel, beaver, and birds (pheasant, grouse, quail, wild turkey, wild geese and ducks). ]