"Hi, I'm Maya. You're really cute. We should hang out sometime," Maya said, sitting down next to the boy. "You make me happy. You don't pay enough attention to me. This isn't working out," Maya said, standing up. "It's you, not me. We can still be friends. Not really." Maya said, walking back to us without letting the boy say a word.

"He's available. We just broke up." Maya said. I giggled. "Are you okay?" I asked. "Do we need to talk about it?" Riley added. "You still want to be like me and Dylan?" Maya asked. "I want to be exactly like you two. I think too much and you guys don't think at all." Riley said. "See, you get us! So let's not think!" I cheered. I grabbed Riley's hand and pushed her off of the pole we were holding onto. Riley screamed. She landed on the kid's lap. I giggled and turned to my big sis.

"Hey, Maya?" I asked. "Yeah, Dyl?" Maya asked me. "Do you think mom will help us with tonight's homework?" I asked. Maya looked down sadly, and then looked back at me with sympathy in her eyes. She shook her head no. I looked back down at my black combat boots, and then back up when I heard Riley approach.

"That was great." Riley said in a dreamy voice. I put on a fake smile and made eye contact with my friend. "You're welcome." I told her. An expression of worriness and fear crossed Riley's face. "What if that was the best moment of my life? What if nothing ever happens for me again?" She asked. Maya and I shared a knowing look. We looked back at Riley with a smirk plastered on our faces. We both grabbed Riley's hand and pushed her off. She was sent tumbling back. She screamed and landed on a lady's lap. "It's for you." The lady said, picking Riley up and placing her on the kid's lap.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I slammed my locker closed when I had received my history textbooks. Riley and Maya mimicked me. "Did you have trouble with the homework?" Riley asked. I shrugged. "Piece of cake." Maya lied. "You didn't do it, did you?" Riley asked. "I don't even know where my books are." Maya admitted. "They're here and they're heavy." Riley said, taking out Maya's textbooks from her bag. The bell ringed. We all walked into our classroom, and walked over to our desks which were next to each other and at the front.

"You have to do the homework, Maya. This teacher's insane, a total nut job. I think there's something seriously wrong with him." Riley said. "Hi, honey." Mr. Matthews said, standing in front of Riley. "Hi, daddy." Riley greeted her father.

"You're late to your father's class." Mr. Matthews informed her. "Oh, don't worry, Mr. Matthews." Maya said. I smirked. "Yeah. You wrote her a note." I said, taking a piece of paper out of my back pocket. "I did?" Matthews and Riley asked as I did so. "He did." Maya and I answered in unison. "You did." Riley said, as I handed Matthews the note.

"Riley is late. Deal with it." He read from the note. He looked up at Maya and me. "Well, you two got my signature down pretty good this time." He complimented. "Oh, it was easy. You write like a girl." Maya said, taking her seat next to me. "Yeah, you do. I didn't think it was possible, but. You proved me wrong," I told him, taking my seat, which was in between Riley and Maya.

"Okay, let me get back to jamming some learning into your heads." Mr. Matthews said, beginning the class, "The civil war." "The civil bore." Maya said. "Thank you, future mini mart employee of the month." Mr. Matthews said. "Would she be making more money than you?" I asked. Mr. Matthews hesitated before continuing.

"The civil war! Anybody?" He said to us. "A war we fought against ourselves." Riley answered. I raised my eyebrows. "What, you actually studied it?" Mr. Matthews asked. "No, I'm actually living it." Riley said. She bumped her head on her desk as Matthews continued.

"People, people, are we here to learn or not?" Farkle, one of Riley, Maya, and mines closest friends. "What do you mean, Farkle?" Mr. Matthews asked. I turned to Farkle. Who was sitting behind Maya. "I've been in love with Riley since the first grade. But I'm also equally in love with Maya. And Dylan. Some might say the great mystery of the universe is who's gonna be the first Mrs. Farkle." Farkle said. Maya turned around and faced Farkle.