Chapter 5- The Waterbending Teacher

The harbor of Yue City was lively during wartime, with merchants and Wolf Tail raiders shuffling their submarines and ships around the port facilities, selling freshly captured fish or Tiger seals or dividing up their shares from a successful Fire Nation raid. Where the North Pole had once maintained a fleet of sail ships, there now sat rows upon rows of steel submarines, serving as a grim reminder to the Fire Nation that while they may control most of the world, the Water Tribes still had influence beneath the waves.

To Korra though, the sight was amazing. There was just so much going on at once, and she found herself stuck on deck once the submarine surfaced, taking with wide-eyed excitement.

"A lot to take in isn't it?" Sokka said with a grin, quite pleased at the reaction Yue City had. He felt a quiet pride flow through him as his squadron of submarines guided themselves towards the port. The city, the fleet, everything within eyesight represented the work of the past twenty years for him, and probably his life's work. It was proof that despite the setbacks they had suffered against the Fire Nation, the Water Tribes still had the strength to rebuild and live on.

"There it is Korra." Sokka pointed at the entrance of the harbor. "Your past life."

Korra turned, her mind temporarily distracted by the cable cars that ran up and down the interior of the glacier. Then she saw it.

"Wow."

It was indeed impressive. Next to the watch towers and gates that protected the harbor, was a massive statue of an Airbender, carved from solid ice. He looked almost regal, with the flowing cape and battle staff in an aggressive stance. It struck Korra as odd that the Water Tribe would dedicate so much to honor an airbender, but Avatar Aang must have meant something special to the Water Tribes if they decided to construct a statue for him.

"My people wouldn't have survived this long without Aang"" Sokka said to Korra, almost sensing the unasked question. "When Admiral Zhao and the Fire Navy Fleet came to destroy the Northern Water Tribes, he was the one who defended us. He bought us the time we needed to escape to this place."

"It's amazing that he was able to do all that..." Korra observed. "He looks so young."

"He was." Sokka replied softly. "And for his sacrifice, the tribes honor him as one of our own."

Sensing that she was bringing back a few uncomfortable memories for Sokka, she decided that it was probably best to change the subject.

"So...what can you tell me about my uncle?" She asked. It was an odd feeling to discover that she had family outside the prison, and she was genuinely curious.

"Your uncle is a powerful man Korra." Sokka replied, "Not just because he is chief, they say he was the strongest waterbender in the tribe, and the last student of the late Master Pakku. He was from a minor branch of Chief Arnook's family, but he was elected chief by the council after we established Yue City, and has been our leader ever since."

The names were meaningless to Korra, all were men from another era, but she presumed that they must have been big to be mentioned with such respect and reverence from Sokka.

"So...does that mean I'm royalty?" Korra asked with a somewhat mischievous undertone.

Sokka grinned. "Guess you can say that. Who knows? Maybe in time, if Chief Unalaq decides to make you his heir, Noatak and Tarrlok may end up bowing to you."

Korra couldn't help but snicker at that imagery that Sokka had painted so vividly in her head. She wouldn't mind that one bit.

"But why?" Korra wondered, "Doesn't he have any family of his own?"