My eyes gaze to the wheel with discomfort.

His hands are shaking and its justifiable, he's angry thinking about his mother possibly choosing her marriage over choosing her children and her own happiness.

What's not justifiable is the fact that he's speeding when we're on main roads and despite the fact that it's midnight, anything can happen. New york has equally reckless drivers on the road.

The non-stop plane ride to new york from cali that we boarded was one that landed around ten-thirty. Getting our luggage was another half hour and having valet find our parking in the airport parking lot was another hassle.

It's now a little over twelve AM. These specific roads happen to be surprisingly empty but that doesn't mean any car or anything couldn't just appear suddenly, especially since he's over the speed limit.

"Arlo." I pause, trying to keep my voice steady but my eyes are widening in panic just looking at the way the street lights pass the window in an instant. It gives me a sense of motion sickness since my eyes cannot keep up.

I get no answer. I turn my head and he's staring dead ahead, dark eyes a little darker than usual. He's not listening to me, I don't even think he heard me despite our distance. "Arlo, slow down." I declare, louder, a little more panicked.

Absentmindedly my hand out of fear gives him a slight nudge on his bicep but he doesn't budge.

"Arlo, fucking slow down!" I yell this time and this time he looks at me, his eyes full of despair and confusion. I give him a stern look, eyebrows frowned and my lips turned downwards and that's when he gets out of his head. He attempts to slow down and pulls to the side of the road.

Still holding the wheel when he comes to a full stop I grab the gear to his car and push it up to park, pissed at this point. I fall back against my seat with my nose trying to breath in as much air as I can. The anxiety of the moment makes the air feel thick, I lower the window and let fresh December air flow in.

"Seriously what the fuck, Arlo?" I shouted, my hands going up to grip my curls. My chest heaving as I realized how uneasy I was. He lets go of the wheel slowly as he turns to face me. Eyes glossy and his eyebrows falling into an arch. His chest begins to hiccup and not soon after, Arlo breaks down crying.

"I'm sorry Val, I just don't know if I can do it." He sobs as his head falls into his hands, his body tense and full of pressure. He's shaking his head and his voice sounds raspy with the words he releases.

"Do what?" I murmur with curiosity. I hug my own skin, attempting to shield it from the cold air while I press the window button on the door to raise it back up.

I then reach my hand over to rub his broad back in comfort despite my confusion and little annoyance at the danger he could've caused us. He sighs with a heavy breath that makes me upset even thought I have no clue what's going on.

"Confronting her..what if she chooses him? What if she dares to look in my eyes and tells me she rather stay married to him than get a divorce. All I want is my
mom and my sister to be free of the empty lies and pain." He whispered, like he was trying to deflect the reality that was ahead of him.

"Arlo," I start off as I reach over the center console of the car and wrap my arms around his body. His cologne strong in my nostrils as I cozy my head on his arm. "If, she chooses him you got to think straight and help yourself and your sister. If she makes that decision you need to choose yourself and plan out how you can take Angela out of the situation and protect both you and your sister's peace." I advise, running my hand along his spine softly.

"Val, I've never chosen myself. I feel as if that concept is almost foreign to me." He admits as his breathing gets heavy, like the air is limited in this space.