Chapter 20: Out in the Open

Start from the beginning

"What about you?" He asked, "Are you seeing anyone else?"

"I met a few people before you but no one I stayed in contact with. I've been kind of preoccupied with you so I haven't bothered to message anyone new, but I've thought about it maybe a handful of times?" I felt my face twist a bit as I finished my thought.

I don't know what the emotion behind it was, maybe a bit of guilt even though there was no reason for it. "I don't want anything serious either so I'm glad we're on the same page. Truthfully, I don't like labels. I think I just want something where there's mutual attraction based on a variety of things, sexual compatibility, continued interest from both parties and open communication."

A wide grin spread across his face. "Preoccupied with me?" He teased, clinging to that phrase. He obviously enjoyed that admission.

"Shut up. You're talking to other people. You are a lascivious little freak."

Pedro laughed that full-bodied laugh and pulled me down onto the bed with him by wrapping his arms around me. Unsuspecting, I squealed and instinctively pushed away but quickly melted into the feeling of his touch. He hummed with satisfaction as we effortlessly returned to a cuddling position, our giggles fading out.

It felt like the conversation we had both needed yet dreaded was over with and there was a newfound clarity to what this was. I laughed to myself about how urgent things felt on the first date. As if not being the only one to have his attention was an emergency. But I didn't feel that way anymore. I think it was because I knew now that I didn't need to play games to keep him interested. He liked me for me and we could continue down a different path than the two I had imagined before.

"Just so you know, the few people I've been talking to are really just the ones who flirt with me first. It's nothing like this." Pedro pulled me away from my thoughts. I liked having my hand on his chest and feeling the reverberations of his deep voice as he spoke.

Nothing like this. I tried not to smile and filed that away in my head for later.

"So you're telling me I was right. You little slut." I teased, sitting up a bit and combing my fingers through his hair. The soft, messy brown waves served to compliment the scruff adorning his chin.

"I take it where I can get it. Maybe if you told me more about how preoccupied you are with me, I wouldn't bother with them." A devilish grin spread across his face as he looked up at me.

"What do you want to know?" I didn't meet his eyes and tried to go for nonchalant even though I had no intention of telling him.

"What does that even mean, 'preoccupied'?" His hand found its way underneath my shirt again, this time without purpose as his fingers gently drifted across my lower back.

"I'm not a dictionary."

He gave me a doubtful look and I gave him one back. We held each other's gaze and he started to crack a smile, then narrowed his eyes to regain his composure. I found myself doing the same after a while.

"I fear we may be approaching a stalemate." He finally said.

"I agree."

He surprised me by leaning up and planting a kiss on my lips. Then, with those puppy dog eyes and a pout he mumbled, "please?"

"You know, I thought the point of you coming over was to cater to me." I teased, reaching over to grab my phone from my nightstand. I realized what I could do and I thought that the less words I'd have to say the better.

"It was, and I did and I will. All I am asking for is this little crumb. You can have the rest of the night. Promise."

With an exaggerated roll of my eyes, "I yield."

"So.." He trailed off with a smile, anticipating my expression of affection.

I didn't say anything as I connected my phone to the speaker across the room. Pedro looked confused for a moment but his face shifted when he heard the song begin to play.

It turns out that what I thought would be the easiest way to convey how I felt left me exposed and vulnerable. He remained silent as he listened but the smile that spread across his face said it all.

"I made a playlist." I couldn't help but state the obvious. "I only like the first half of the lyrics to this song. Don't listen to the rest."

He didn't reply but nodded his head to the music, then when the chorus hit he gave me a look of surprise and started to move his shoulders back and forth, the smile growing until it transformed into a laugh.

"How often do you listen to this?" He asked as he danced.

"Every morning." I felt myself blush.

"Come here." He pulled me back into him and spoke in an endearing voice, "You're so cute I could eat you up."

"Is this a big enough crumb for you?" I asked, laughing as he moved my body with his. It would have been cute if we were standing but it was a bit awkward in the bed.

He stopped, then went to grab my phone, "I want to see the rest of the playlist."

"The songs don't make sense together but they all remind me of you."

"This is so sweet. God I don't think anyone has done this for me since I was in high school. It was mixtapes back then. I don't think you were even born yet."

I made a gagging sound, "Please don't talk about our age gap like that."

He chuckled as he scanned through. I watched his face with admiration then the creeping sensation of being misplaced took over.

An intrusive thought took up too much space in my mind and I needed to get it out, "Do you think it's immature?"

He paused and gave me a tender look, "No, not at all. You're creative, it makes sense you wanted to express yourself this way. I love it."

Relief washed over me. I liked that Pedro saw me, even the parts I couldn't always see. Things were so much different with him than with people I had seen in the past. I reflected on the past few weeks and for a moment it didn't feel real. I was grateful I had taken a chance and met with him.

"I do like compliments, especially ones about my appearance, but this is almost better than that. I'm going to send it to myself."

"Shut up." I said and smacked his arm lightly. The song changed into one that was slower.

A crooked smile on his face as he looked over, "I'll make you one too."

A tender smile on my own, "You don't have to."

"I think we both already know what I'm gonna say to that."

the world don't matter when we're looking at each other

He held my gaze and we both leaned in to share a tender kiss. Full of feeling. His hand came up to my cheek and I felt small in the palm of his hand. My whole body melted into it and I could feel him smile into the kiss. When we pulled away he looked into my eyes as if he was trying to say something he couldn't express with words. I felt the same.

"You hungry?" The question was a bit out of place and didn't match his gentle tone but I was glad he asked.

"A little bit."

"Let's order in. My treat."

✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺

Hi!! I'm back!! So sorry to keep you all waiting. Life has been so draining and I kind of hit writers block. I didn't really like the direction I had taken with the previous 3 chapters but perfect is the enemy of good, right? So I'm trying to get back into the flow.

I say it often but that's because  it's true, I hope you like this chapter. Thank you to everyone who reads the story & my lil blurbs at the end!!

This next week is really chaotic for me, but I'll be on break soon & I'll have more time to write. Sending love to all of you, & let me know what you think of this chapter!!

In case you're interested, Song 1 is I Just Wanna by Superfan and song 2 is Dusk by Alice Phoebe Lou ❤️