So.. you read?

Bens POV

It had been two weeks since the boat broke down and JJ got it working again pretty quickly.

Our friend group had stayed the same for the most part. JJ, however, started talking to me.. a little more I guess. He would only ever talk to me if we were alone. And I'd ALWAYS have to start the conversation.

We weren't alone very often, and when we were, it wasn't for very long. If I'm being honest though, I liked talking to JJ. sometimes I would purposely put my self in a position where I'd be alone with him, just to talk.

Even though it was never more than small talk, I still craved that conversation. Those moments where he'd be civil to me. Actually treat me like a human being. Acknowledge my existence on this planet. He didn't do that when everyone else was around.

The day was coming to an end and we were all hanging out at the dock watching the sun set. JJ and John b where fishing while the rest of us sat with our legs dangling over the water.

"JJ can you hand me my bag?" Kiara asked innocently

JJ smiled and handed it to her.

"Thank you" she smiled

After finding out that they used to be a thing, I TOTALLY SEE IT. they still flirt. All the time. They're just.. really nice to each other. I don't know,but the tension between them is definitely still there.

Kara's such a catch too I don't understand WHY JJ would have cheated on her. It seemed so stupid to me.

After it got dark, we went Inside and scavenged for dinner. The chateau was never really stocked up with food. Ever.

We decided to order pizza and while we waited, I went back out on the dock for a minute alone, just to clear my mind.

I plugged in my headphones and turned up my music as I looked out at the water.

Why did it kinda upset me that Kiara still liked JJ. I mean, he did her so wrong. Why would she still want him?

That's all I could think about out there. Seeing them two interact made me sick to my stomach. And if I'm being honest.. I don't think it's because I don't want to see Kiara get hurt again. I mean, Obviously I don't, but.. I think it might have been something else..

"Soooo... you read?" I hear a voice behind me and quickly turn to look who it was.

To my surprise, JJ was standing behind me, leaning on a piece of wood that hung across the entrance. His arms lifted up to reach. He was in a tank top and I could see his muscular shoulders and- omg. Let me stop.

I starred at him for a minute in shock and a little out of breath because he actually scared the shit out of me.

"Yea.." I Said, a little confused as I took my headphones out. My eyes following him "I read"

He came and leaned on the railing next to me.

"Why?" I asked, looking up at him

He shrugged as he continued to look out at the water. My eyes, however, were stuck on him.

"I could never get into it" he shared. The dark wind blowing through his hair.

"Well" I started. Unsure of what to say "it's not for everyone I guess"

He looked down at me with a grin that made my heart skip a beat

"Well, anyways" JJ said, tapping the railing as he stood up straight "pizzas here"

...

"That's what you came to tell me?" I asked, looking back at the water to hide my confusion

"Mhm" he said casually as he started walking back toward the house

"Thanks?" I said, knowing he couldn't hear me

He left and I just sat there confused out of my mind. What the fuck? He was such a mystery to me.

We ate pizza and everything was like normal. JJ had stopped giving me evil eyes lately. Now he just completely ignored me. I don't know which was worse.

I watched as Kiara made her way over to JJ on the couch and sat down next to him. He smiled and put his arm behind her on the couch. Real nonchalant like.

I could see it in her eyes that she was falling for him again.

I kept a close eye on them and watched as they flirted and got touchy. It would have been really cute if he hadn't of cheated on her already.

I think he noticed me keeping and eye on them because he started to look at me more. Maybe even a scowl.

We made eye contact as if he was making sure that I saw him, casually put his arm around her. She smiled and let him do it.

She leaned into his chest and they were all up on each other. it was disgusting. Sorry.

He kept looking back at me and giving me smug looks. I don't know why he thought I would care so much. God he was such a douche.

No one else seemed to have thought anything of it. No one said anything about the two cuddling on the couch. I hated it.

The next morning, me and Sarah were walking to her car to go to the store and buy food for the chateau.

"Did you see JJ and Kiara last night?" Sarah whispered over to me in her gossipy whisper.

Thank god we were talking about it.

"Oh my god, yes." I matched her tone "what was that all about?"

"I dunno, but that's how it started last time" she said and cranked the car "i hope she's not going for him again."

"Do you think she would?" I asked and she shrugged

"Look, I love JJ. He really is a great guy, but.." Sarah started "I don't know why she would get back with him. He's not a good boyfriend"

I looked forward as I thought

"Maybe it's the abs" I joked

"I-" Sarah laughed and looked over at me with her jaw dropped. She put both hands up "you said it, not me"

We both started laughing and she backed out of the driveway and we headed to the store.