005. ━ ellie's secret

Beginne am Anfang

"So, Addison is gonna be coming soon," Ellie told Mark.

He looked up momentarily before going back to the leg. "Is she? Why?"

"To talk," Ellie shrugged. "I haven't seen her since... you know." Mark nodded in understanding. "So, we're gonna clear the air, if you will. That's okay, right? That she's coming?"

"Yeah, that's fine. We're on good terms. I'm glad you're talking to her again, sunshine."

She smiled. "Me too. I've missed our talks."

Suddenly, a young woman with bright blonde hair walked over to the siblings. "Dr. Sloan?"

They both looked up. "Yeah?"

Ellie saw Mark do a double take as the girl clarified and Ellie looked between the two. "Mark Sloan." She smiled at him. "Hi. Um, so this is a little weird, but um... my name is Sloan Reilly. And, uh, my mom's Samantha Reilly." Ellie's smile faltered as she recognizes the name and internally groaned. "And, um... I'm pretty sure you're my Dad."

Ellie looked at Mark who was looking at her in disbelief just Lexie came up to them. Alex and Callie look between the three of them as Ellie pursed her lips. "Dr. Sloan, do you want me to get a blood test?"

☀️

ELLIE FOUND HERSELF sitting beside her brother as Sloan sat across from them. The two of them were staring at each other in awkward silence while Ellie looked between them. "What are you two doing?"

"Nothing," they both replied. Ellie was more than grateful when Callie came in with a blood test in hand.

"Hi. How's it, uh, how's it going in here?"

"Great."

"Fine."

"They haven't spoken a word to each other since we've been in here," Ellie told her. "It's getting awkward now."

Callie nodded. "Okay. So have we broached the question of a paternity test? Cause I brought supplies."

She placed the supplies on the table and Ellie looked between the new father and daughter. This is just plain awkward.

Ellie started taking Mark's blood while Callie did the same to Sloan. "Mark... talk to her."

Callie nodded. "Out loud," she added.

"Dude," Sloan said. "Are you, like, high or something?"

Just then, Derek opened the door. "Sloan."

The siblings plus Sloan all replied and Ellie slumped against the table. "Great."

Derek chuckled at her. "Mark, Ellie, I need you on something."

Ellie sighed in relief, finally able to escape the awkwardness of this "family reunion" and followed Derek and her brother to a patient room on the peds floor while listening to Mark complain. "I have a daughter, Derek."

"Yeah."

"An 18-year-old daughter. I am too young to have an 18 year old."

"Yes, we were all there," Ellie said with a nod. "You have a daughter. Are you done?"

Mark glared at her before sighing. "It's a nail in my coffin. It's like death has come to call."

"Okay, can we put a pin in your existential crisis for a minute?" Derek asked, agreeing with Ellie.

"No," Mark replied. "That's why they call it a crisis."

"Look." Derek stood in front of them. "Dr. Robbins and I have a 6 year old with an inoperable A.V.M. We need your help to make it operable."