moles, plans and wolves

Start from the beginning

we walked confidently to our cars as frypan and gally finished up their check up. i didn't look to the crowd, fearful that the pack had already caught on. everything was going well and smoothly. the morning sun beat softly down onto us- it was sure to be a scorcher of a day. maybe after the race we'd all go have a barbecue.

my nice daydream was soon interrupted. i knew something was wrong when the crowd changed to exited murmers. an all too familiar engine roared from behind me. i turned slowly as WCKD's new car rolled forward.

the man who i rammed into the river exited, the signature sly smirk plastered on his face. me and minho flipped up our visors, i made sure to keep my back to the crowd.

"ahhh mischief! i forgot to thank you for the new and improved engine!"
he said strutting confidently towards us. i knew i recognised the purr of the engine- it was my design. minhos eyes flickered to me.

"the shuck are you doing here? why don't you turn on your heel and go to hell"
minho growled, the man only laughed. he flashed his hands together and breathed in deep.

"wow. this welcome is warm. nice to see you too! anyway mischief, we at WCKD appreciate this after you crashed our car. it's alright though... you payed us back after all"

minho stepped beside me. eyeing the driver with hate.

"can i have a look at the engine then."
i asked calmly. the WCKD driver grinned and lifted up his bonnet. when i saw the specific design i internally wanted to scream. i hadn't even tried this out yet, i only created it recently so i couldn't understand how WCKD had it. i have minho a look to say 'we need to talk' he nodded in agreement. jaw clenched.

"but"

WCKDS driver continued, that punchable
face still plastered with a fake  smile

" cool your jets. we decided to enter in tomorrows race and not today! gives you two time to prepare and we are all for fair games."

i glared at him and said nothing. he said farewell still grinning widely and drove off.
minhos attention snapped to me.

"you better have a shucking air tight excuse"
he muttered i nodded. i kind of did. we asked the commentator for a couple of minutes as we were having a bit of technical difficulty. as we were the favourites they allowed it.

me and minho hopped into my car whist gally pretended to look over his. i made sure the radio was off and there was no way to hear us. the air condition provided a small comfort from the sun although it did nothing to cool me down.

"explain"
he hissed quietly.

"i'm once again going to have to ask for your trust"
i began. he shot me a disbelieving look and i couldn't help but wince. he pointed a finger in my face- eyebrows tightly knit.

"look thomas- you might be fitting in better than a missing puzzle piece with the gladers but that doesn't mean you're immune from my suspicion. i still can't say i know you well enough to defend you blindly so if you're gonna ask for my trust then you better have something in return at the least."

i nodded, that was fair.

"listen. that motor he had? i have only ever had as blueprints and VERY recently have i corrected all the faults to make it work. as in- three days tops. no one outside of me and the gladers have seen it. but here's the issue... i need your help to find out who gave it away"

i could see he was still on the fence

" a- and look you can keep me under constant surveillance, i'll give you my shucking phone, i'll cuddle up to you at night. i don't care what it takes but i promise you i didn't give them anything."