bad ways to meet

stiles POV:

i had been in chicago for a month and so far i hadn't been able to hold down a single job. it was becoming increasingly frustrating, I mean I wasn't too surprised what with my youngness and the fact I had no idea how to get one but still. right now i was grabbing a coffee after filling out yet another application form. i paid the cashier and took my gritty coffee before exiting. my head was in the clouds as i walked down the sidewalk, i was thinking about all the possibilities and options i could take at the moment, the list was depressingly short if im being honest.

someone's shoulder bumped harshly into mine, making me stumble, barley saving myself from chewin gon concrete. my coffee spilt all over my shirt, the one i had just washed and ironed. fan-fucking-tastic

"oh you have to be joking"
i seethe staring at the brown stain with loathing.

"watch where you're bloody going"
i hear the man who bumped me spit. i almost wanted to laugh. who the hell did this guy think he was? i snapped my gaze up- ready to rip into him but stopped short. mouth slightly agape- he was pretty. very fucking pretty.

"i- i-"

i stuttered. words failed to formulate as i couldn't rip my eyes from his sandy hair and soft brown eyes which were crinkled with anger.

"you- you- you what huh? ugh and i'm already late"
he muttered, spinning away from me and storming back the way i had came. i blinked as if stuck in a daze, he just left. eventually i snapped myself out of it and began to walk back to my apartment, chucking the half empty coffee in the bin.

throughout the entire day i couldn't get that guy out of my head. i stopped caring about the coffee stain pretty quickly. what a way to meet though... did it have to be like that? I feel like that's the type of guy I should run into at the library- like a cheesy romcom. i decided not to dwell on it any longer and focused on the only job i could get my hands on at the time.

an uber driver- i got my fair share of assholes but money was money and i was defintely not about to turn my nose up at any.
so far i had three drunk girls in the back laughing about a guy one of them had kicked in the balls when they tried to touch her. i found myself snorting at their comments.  it was pretty funny, they were lovely and as long as none of them threw up in the back then i was completely fine with it.

eventually i dropped them off. they blew me kisses with more laughter and i drove away- next was two guys about three miles from here.  i pressed down hard on the accelerator and shot down the roads.

soon enough i pulled up and flagged him down.

"wow. you got here quick huh?"

he stated.

"only messages you about four minutes ago tops."

i shrugged. i don't wanna pat myself on the back too much but i am pretty good at driving fast and carelessly.

the two got in and i sped down the road. one instnetly grabbed a safety bar above his head. i stifled a laugh.

"you going to the race tomorrow?"
one asked after a period of silence.

"well... i don't wanna get arrested for being there"
the other muttered. why would he get arrested for going to watch a race. i couldn't help but eavesdrop further. my curiosity piqued.

"no no it's in an abandoned quarry. no one ever goes there. i can't wait to see the gladers"

he promises. i looked in the rear view mirror to see his eyes visibly lit up when he mentioned the gladers.

"well. alright then- just wish WICKED were there. their rivalry is unmatched."

"yeah. otherwise it's clear whose gonna win- holy shot dude don't go that fast round s corner!"

he yelled. i slowed the car down. muttering apologies. this was a new car i had gotten for my 18th pretty nice if i do say so myself... well originally it was a little slow but, i might have made some... slight modifications: boosters do it can go more than 200 miles an hour, increases the size of the fuel tank, added more armour cause god knows how many times i crash and finally surround sound speakers. i was more than proud of it.

i dropped the two off- apologising again for my hectic driving and sped home. i had to go see what the fuss was about over the race. i needed to see.

-

i got to the quarry at 10pm- a crowd was already there. i carefully snuck past the guards who I was supposed to pay 20 dollars to, I crawled my way to the front and stood there waiting. i didn't exactly know for what but i did know that my life was boring as fuck at the moment and i wanted something fun to do or see.

after a moment the crowd began whooping loudly and i watched as a guy- surely the same age as me walked out. he had a biker helmet in hand and grinned at us all. i found myself cheering too. he walked out of my sight for a moment before the loud roar of an engine boomed around the quarry. a sleek blue and black car rolled onto the makeshift road in front of me.

the crowed roared loudly again as more contestants i guess came out with their cars. they varied in all different makes and colours- all of them vibrant and dangerous looking.

i stared in awe and admittedly ar little jealous as they revved their engines. a large box resembling a traffic light beeped three times before they tore down the track. for a moment i got pretty disappointed, what now? we just waited to see who won? that would suck. a projector switched on, following the racers every movement.  we all watched as the cars careened round the quarry. i felt the thrill the racers did, i could almost smell the burning rubber and feel the strength of the speed. i wanted it more than anything.

people would boo and whoop as cars smashed into one another. one bulky car sent a small one flying into a wall where it crumpled and spun off to the side. people yelled in protest and threw beer cans at the projection as if they would affect the racers.

the race kept going, the worse drivers getting flung off the road until what once was twenty became seven. the black and blue one, the bulky one, two others which could probably pass as monster trucks, an actual truck,and a lamborghini that looked very out of place. i was sure that one was next to go.

by now it was the home stretch, we could see the cars speeding down the path, kicking up so much dirt behind them. the bulky one went to ram the blue (clearly the favourite so i guess that's the gladers car) it tried twice, only catching the bumper.

third time it looked like it would hit it straight on but the glader car stopped short and the bulky one smashed straight into a wall, crushing itself. the gladers boosted forward and passes the finish line instantly the crowd lost their shit. i had to refrain from covering by ears at their shouts and yells of approval. smoke was literally rising off the car as the same guy stepped out- he sent his middle finger to where i'm guessing the bulky cars crew were and sauntered off again, relishing in the cheers.

i knew at that moment that this is what i was supposed to be doing. not running with wolves, not a 9-5 job, not an uber driver- this.

the guy moved to a small makeshift stage and grabbed a large wad of cash. grinning victoriously.

"give it up for runner- driver of the gladers!"
a voice boomed over the loud speakers. again the crowd went wild and i decided i'd had enough. not wanting to get caught by security i slipped off again with a smile on my face. i'd have to get the details to another one of these. this time id enter.

i found someone who looked to have that information. it was a girl who looked to be in her early twenties, she had dark purple hair and a nose ring, her makeup was flawless and her black leather jacket suited her perfectly. she was chewing gum with a bored look on her face, an earpiece in one ear and a clipboard in hand.

"hey. uhm. i wanna sign up to race."
i said. the girl raised an eyebrow at me.

"you? want to race?"

i nodded. suddenly feeling a little self conscious. she shrugged and handed me a slip of paper.

"show up to this site in a week. bring your car and your crew. don't blame me if it gets wrecked"

i nodded with a grin and jogged away. i really hoped this would be fun