Chapter 5: Progress day

Comenzar desde el principio

I continue "We've found a means to fortify the crystals. This new version is stable and absolutely safe. We can now design portable devices"

"The Gemstone can power virtually anything." Y/N adds from the front of the room.

Jayce is next in the presentation "The Atlas Gauntlets. The mining colonies in the fissures can work faster and without fatigue." Jayce demonstrates their use by smashing a rock effortlessly

"The Hex Claw." I announced "A mechanical arm, equipped with a powerful ray of light. Imagine what our artificers could do with such a device. I want Hextech to be a tool for us to build a new world. And now, it's finally possible." I finished the presentation turning to Y/N and Heimerdinger Y/N was beaming, she gave me a small nod and butterflies erupted in my stomach.

However Heimerding didn't share this sentiment. "Quite amazing, gentlemen. You should be very proud. Obviously, there are a few kinks to iron out and screws to be tightened, but give it a decade of careful research, and it will be ready."

My heart sunk, "A decade" My face was becoming numb.

"Oh don't worry my boy. It zips past you in the blink of an eye" Heimerdinger said cheerfully. I didn't have a decade left.

"Father" Y/N muttered but I cut in

"With all do respect professor, we could be improving lives with Hextech now."

"A breakthrough like this takes time, Viktor. Putting that kind of power into everyone's hands is dangerous. Keep at it and I'm sure you will discover a way to safeguard Hextech against misuse" Heimerdinger explained. All of the joy I felt from the presentation, the relaxation and calm I felt from the moment I had with Y/N it was all gone. I don't have time.

Y/N showed Heimerdinger out waving him goodbye before slamming the doors shut. "FUCK!" she exclaimed "He doesn't understand, he doesn't understand that the rest of us don't have a millennia left to live" she ran a hand through her h/c hair.

Jayce reached out for her but she pushed his hand away "I'm gonna go get you a coffee, you stay here and take a breather alright, its going to be ok" He said before leaving the lab.

"Progress day my ass" she said turning to me her eyes slightly glossy. "He doesnt get that you don't have a decade, he doesnt understand that if we don't start doing this now...I lose you" unshed tears filled her eyes.

I crossed the room, my cruch tucked under my arm. I brought her into an embrace and tried communicating all the things I was feeling. "It will be alright darling, I promise"

"I cant loose you" She whispered, I felt the first and only tear she let fall drop onto my shoulder. I grabbed her chin lightly making her look at me before I wiped away the trail the tear took down her face.

I let my thumb lightly trace over the small scar on her cheek where she was cut by a shard of glass. Then over the scar above her eyebrow that she has had since she was small. "You will not lose me"

It was a vow I was making to us, not just her not just me but us. I wouldn't hurt her I couldn't.

Time skip

Y/N and I stood backstage waiting for Jayce. She had begun to pace back and forth her boots clicking rhythmically. She was biting her thumb nail nervously.

A stagehand cam by and whispered something to Y/N she closed her eyes and took a deep breath before nodding.

"What was that all about" I asked gently

"If Jayce doesn't show in the next five minutes they want me to give the address" She said her voice shaking slightly. "I have nothing prepared, sure I could make it up on the fly but I just, Jayce just needs to get here now"

As if her words summoned him Jayce walked towards them Y/N shoulders visibly relaxed and she walked over to him "Thank God you here they almost made me give the address" she said giving him a quick embrace.

"I'm sure you would have been fine, you would have probably done better then Im about to do" He said somewhat nervously.

"It'll be fine go show them the future" She said giving his shoulder a light pat before he ascended the stairs and emerged on stage.

Y/N came to stand beside me, I reached my hand around her waist and pulled her closer, watching Jayce give the address. I was so hopeful that he'd still reveal our new inventions.

However he didn't, he didn't reveal the inventions. My frustration built and I could feel Y/N sag against me slightly.

I removed my arm from around her waist and made for the exit, I could hear her heals clicking after but she didn't push not till we exited backstage.

"Vik" she mumered lightly

"I don't understand why progress must wait why must it wait till I can no longer see it's change" I said my frustration bubbling to the surface.

She reached out grabbing my hand and turning me towards her "'I know this must be near unbearable but we will save you, we'll figure it out, hextech is the future and you will see its change and reap it's rewards, you'll go down in history as one of the most brilliant minds to ever walk the streets of piltover " She sounded so sure, it gave me hope but I was still a realist I still new that in reality if I couldn't cure myself soon, it'd all be over.

I pulled her in and wrapped my arms around her burying my head in her hair, she wrapped her arms around my waist resting her head on my chest.

I had to tell her soon how deep my love for her was, before it was to late but for now I let my self get lost in vanilla and roses and saved my problems for another day.

Happy fucking progress day.