Time doesn't exist

Sorry I'm late," said Ayla, sitting herself down on the brick wall next to Jannah.

Jannah turned her head to look at her, "Don't be sorry, time doesn't exist," and took a drag of the vape that she held in her fingers.

Ayla chuckled quietly to herself.

"Since when did time not exist?"

"It never has and never will," stated Jannah with a small smile.

Ayla shook her head, smiling at her friends words.

Silence fell on the both of them as they stared at the purple sky, city lights twinkling below them.

Ayla felt Jannah nudge her slightly and she looked to see her holding out her vape, taking it she took a drag and exhaled deeply.

"What's on your mind?," asked Jannah, a bored expression on her face that would've looked like she didn't care to anyone else.

Ayla smiled to herself, she loved that about her, an indifference to people and the crazy amount of baggage they brought along with them.

"Everything really," she said quietly, "It all just seems like-" and she paused, letting out another sigh, not finding any words for how she felt.

Taking another drag, she closed her eyes and leaned her head on the wall.

"Can you see the sky?", asked Jannah, with an unusual softness in her voice.

Ayla opened her eyes, seeing the shades of blue and purple blend into each other and a rare star, twinkling here and there.

"No one asked the sky to exist, but it still does, sometimes she's happy, sometimes she's angry, and sometimes she downright fucking depressed."

Ayla let out a small laugh.

"She's always changing but she still exists doesn't she? And I bet its real fucking lonely up there for her," Jannah carried on, "and she probably thinks she doesn't really have a purpose, but look at us, we'd be dead before we even existed if she wasn't there."

Ayla looked at Jannah, head craning up to the sky, dark hair draping her shoulders, so... lost in everything.

Ayla shuffled closer to Jannah and lay her head on her shoulder, "How long left till we have to go," whispered Ayla.

"Time doesn't exist, remember?," answered Jannah, and Ayla stared down at the buildings of the little town they called home.

Feeling the emptiness in her grow, she willed for time to slow down to a halt, willing for herself to get lost between the shades of the sky.