"Protection from what exactly?"

"It doesn't matter once they're in Treachery." Erix replied flippantly. "Boots or Mary Janes?"

"Sneakers, obviously!" Enid yelled.

"I was asking Wednesday if you don't mind."

She threw another toy at him which, this time, he actually did burn but pulled out Enid's favorite pair of sneakers anyway.

"Your outfit, princess peach." he rolled his eyes pointing to the clothes laid out on her bed.

Enid walked over to her wardrobe and pulled out a colorful patterned crop top. She held it up for both Erix and Wednesday to see.

"Too much?" she asked.

Wednesday sighed. "I feel like you just napalmed me, Enid."

"Just put on what I picked out." Erix said, taking the clothes from Enid's bed and pushing them in her arms so he could lie down.

She threw the top back into her wardrobe and went to get dressed behind the folding screen she had in the corner of her side of the room.

"So glad I have my date with Ajax tonight. Get my mind off that trainwreck of an afternoon. I literally think I have PTSD. I didn't even get to do my dance routine."

"What a tragedy."

"What kind of twisted psycho would want to sabotage such a life-affirming event?"

Erix nearly laughed as Wednesday momentarily stopped typing.

"You're going to be late." Wednesday said, easily changing the subject.

"Wish me luck." Enid said nervously as she stepped out from the folding screen in the outfit Erix had expertly picked.

"If he breaks your heart, I'll nail-gun his." Wednesday said as Enid left.

❤︎❤︎❤︎

"Is Erix your real name?" Wednesday asked.

He stopped what he was doing to look at her. "Why?"

"None of the demons you told me about have names like yours." She replied never breaking eye contact. "Erix being your real name just struck me as unlikely."

"It's- I suppose you could call it a human version of my name. A translation of sorts." He said carefully.

"What's your demon name?"

"Well I can't say it. There's a rule against demons saying their own names in any human language. So I'm not really supposed to..."

"So you're allowed to say another demon's name in a human language but not your own?"

"Well those demons are kings, it's a bit different. Kings and rulers' names have meaning that humans know but normal demons, normal hellborns, have different rules."

"Is yours similar to the translation?"

"The letters are from it." He shrugged. "I don't think you all have a word that translates exactly. 𝕳𝖊𝖕𝖉𝖗𝖆𝖎𝖟𝖝.." He said in the same voice that he had used when in his demon form but whatever he said was definitely not any language Wednesday had heard before. "I believe my name, in English, translates to 'eternal ruler'. Roughly."

"That's pretentious." Wednesday said.

"Only a bit." He smirked with a hint of humor in his voice. With that he began adding a first coat of black polish. "I'll let you get back to your book."

She was going to do so but found herself distracted. His voice, his real voice, and the way he sounded speaking his language. It was strangely mesmerizing...

She would never say it aloud but she wanted to hear it again. She couldn't understand what he said but it looked so much more natural to him.

Erix was one of the only things she couldn't understand. And somehow that drew her in so much more than anyone else.

She must just like the challenge of not being able to figure him out at first glance.

'Finally, a real enigma at this school.'
__________

Chapter's lowkey disorganized but plot so

Wednesday: *threatens to kill ajax*
Erix: great minds think alike 😁

A couple that murders together stays together

And lastly something Pinterest gifted me