The Ruins

"I hate mud." Wednesday sighed as Erix complained once again.

They had long since left the Weathervane once Erix had finished serving a few more people and changed back into his clothes. They were trudging through the forest now.

"I have to clean my boots now too."

"Are you going to whine the entire time we're out here?" she questioned.

"Not the entire time."

"Tell me something." Erix nodded. "What kind of demons are in hell?"

"Naming them all would make us late for the statue unveiling. It can't be any of the higher ups—"

"Monarchy?"

"And hierarchy." He shook some leaves off his boot and pulled his letterman jacket tighter around him. "Jesus it's fucking freezing. I asked my dad and he said that none of the superiors have left in a while. Hellborns are too low in the hierarchy to do something like this. Most aren't powerful enough."

"What about you?"

"Succubus and incubus are a bit higher up. We have a few powers, nothing like the monster we're hunting though."

"What kind of powers?" Wednesday asked. He was being vague avoiding going into detail about succubi but for what reason?

"Compulsion, arousal, basic attraction..." At her look Erix continued, "To humans we look more attractive than we do to other demons. Compulsion- basically I can just put people into a trance like the sirens. Like if I used it on you, you'd do whatever I asked. And arousal... is exactly what it sounds like."

He looked nauseous at the thought of the last one. His eyes were flickering between their usual forest green and a pink so vibrant it was almost red.

"What about the fire you started? Is that not a power?"

"It is." He said shortly. "It comes from my dad's side of the family."

"Pyrokinesis?"

"In a sense." They had finally made it to the meeting house. Erix glanced at her. "I can tell you about more later. For now let's just check this place out."

Birds began cawing loudly above them. Thing stared unimpressed at the ruin.

"I was expecting more too." Wednesday said.

A ragged looking man emerged from the house. "Who you talking to, little girl?"

"Use 'little' and 'girl' to address me again and I can't guarantee your safety."

"This is my place." the man growled. "Get out!"

"A hand here?" she looked at Erix. He sighed and grabbed him from the middle.

The man grunted. "Hey! Hey! Get off! Get off me!"

He looked back to see a more... demonic looking Erix, his pale skin replaced with red and his eyes bright red as well. The man yelled in surprise and Erix dropped him. He ran away into the woods leaving the two teenagers alone.

Erix returned to his normal human form and brushed off his clothes. "What?"

"Thank you." Wednesday continued to look around the ruin with Erix following behind. "There's nothing here."

Thing tapped.

"No, I can't just touch something. My visions seem to happen spontaneously."

"Does anyone else in your family get visions?" Erix asked, leaning against one of the sturdier walls. Thing nodded.