The Poe Cup

"Remind me why you're here in my room at 10pm. I just put the baby to sleep."

"Baby?"

"Ajax."

"Unimportant."

When Wednesday and Enid had knocked on his door at 9:27 Erix's first instinct was to ignore them because, as much as he loved Enid and his gossip sessions, he wasn't in the mood to talk about his dating life or Ajax.

Who he had just gotten to actually fucking sleep mind you.

But he got the feeling that whatever Enid had to say was either important, entertaining or she was panicking.

Surprise, surprise, it was the last one.

He was, in fact, mildly surprised that Wednesday was with her though.

"I am majorly freaking out right now!" Enid paced his room.

"Bubble toy." He handed her the popsicle shaped fidget toy. He turned to Wednesday. "So let me get this straight, you want to win against Bianca in the Pie Cup?"

Both girls nodded.

"And you need my help, why?"

"Enid said you would be the perfect person to help."

"I hate water."

"But you're fire." Enid muttered as she messed with the fidget toy. "Your element against hers is like the most basic thing in all media."

"Basic isn't my thing."

""She said the only reason you won't participate in the Poe Cup is because you're scared to lose." Wednesday said bluntly.

"She said what?" Erix felt a familiar flame burn within him. "Oh she's going down."

❤︎❤︎❤︎

"We're all set."

"Good. Thing's in position."

After a late night visit to Erix's dorm room (which he was not thrilled about) they were set to take down the queen bee of Nevermore.

"Wanna tell me what you guys were up to?"

"And spoil the surprise?"

"Speaking of surprises, your costume's in the tent."

"Costume?"

Wednesday walked out of the tent in her "costume" to find Erix in a similar one, posing with Enid. Instead of the pink stitching like Enid's or white like hers, his was a blood red.

Both her and Erix had black face paint on along with eyeliner.

"OMG, you look purr-fect!" Enid said practically bouncing.

"Pretty kitty." Erix said with a "charming" grin.

Wednesday was tempted to stab him.

"Only thing, where are your whiskers?"

"Ask again, and you'll be down to eight lives." She threatened.

"What about eyeliner?" She stared at Erix. He pouted. "C'mon, just a little wing? Cat eye?"

"Just get in position."

He saluted her. "Ma'am, yes ma'am!"

Wednesday rolled her eyes as he walked off. Enid tapped her.

"Sorry!" she said as Wednesday took a step back. "I know, no touching, but we've gotta get in the boat!"

She nodded. The others were already in the boat with their oars ready. Enid waved at one of the jesters.