Chapter 6: Desert Hill

Start from the beginning

"Ohhh." Mario and Luigi's hearts sank as they saw dozens of toads and toadettes sob as they watched their homes burn. Luigi pointed to an airship that flew over Desert Hill and bombarded it with cannons and Bullet Bills.

"I don't think so, Koopas. Luigi, we gotta draw them down."

"Right! Give their ground troops a little trouble." They turned back to the toads, who looked upon them with hope.

"Don't worry. We're the Mario Brothers, and we're gonna get your homes back!"

"Cause that's what heroes do!" Luigi added, and Mario savored the bright animation and joy it brought to the toads. Green and Blue Yoshi likewise jumped up and down, kindled by the fiery enthusiasm. At this, Mario and Luigi stood tall and looked down at a platoon of Koopas and other minions running rampant in a town at the foot of the hill.

"Ready, Luigi!?

"I'm ready, Mario!" Together they bumped fists and got set.

(HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THEME Athletic Theme (NEW REMIX) - Super Mario Bros. 3 | Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)

"Let's-a go!" The toads, toadettes, and yoshis gazed in wonder as the Mario Brothers charged straight into the fray. Mario leaped up and jumped onto the nearest red-shell sergeant and pounced him into his shell. As he propelled himself off, Luigi kicked the shell into half a dozen green shells behind him.

"Yaah!" The koopas tried to flee but could not escape their sergeant, who bashed them all aside. When Mario came down, he flattened two goombas one after the other, then held his hands up to help propel Luigi up into a trio of paragoombas whom he knocked away with a tornado-like spin of his fists.

"Don't just sit there! Get them!" A yellow-shelled koopa lieutenant pointed his spear at the brothers as two boomerang bros, small chain chomps restrained by koopas, rushed them while piranha plants emerged from pipes.

"Here we go!" Mario ran across a half-constructed brick structure and slid across the pink metal scaffold while two boomerangs flew over him. At the same time, Luigi jumped high over another pair and Mario himself.

"Oh no, come back, come back, come back!" The boomerang bros yelped in terror when they saw the Mario Brothers come in before their boomerangs could. Mario sprung up and slammed the first boomerang bro with two punches and then a kick, while Luigi stomped the second until his upper half lay buried in the sand.

"Ohh ho, you asked for it!" The two Koopa handlers cackled, then let loose the feral chain chomps, who barked as they bounced toward the brothers.

"Uhhg, still not as bad as Francis." Luigi muttered as he recalled the horrifying golden retriever.

"I'll take the piranhas. You take the koopas." Mario gestured toward chains behind both chain chomps, and Luigi nodded with a knowing smile.

"Okey-Dokey!" Luigi and Mario charged the chain chomps despite their razor-sharp fangs, then leaped up over them.

"Bark bark!" The chain chomps snapped upward but missed the Mario Brothers, who landed and seized their chains.

"Hold on, hold on, let's talk about this!" The yellow-shell koopa and his companions backed up when they saw the brothers' grins.

"You can have these back!" Mario and Luigi spun themselves, and the chain chomps with them.

"Burn em!" The Koopa lieutenant squealed at his fire piranas, who spat out balls of fire. However, the chain chomps' hard metal bodies shielded the brothers, who let their chomps go just before dizziness could set in. The toads cried out with the yoshis in renewed glee as the piranhas whined before Luigi's chain chomp ripped them from their pipes before any could retreat inside. The remaining Koopas and goombas, likewise fled before the second flying chomp, who collected them in its jaws one by one.