Chapter Three

LIGHT GIVER where can I go that you are not?

 If I go to the Highest peak you are there.

 If I go to the lowest cavern you are there.

If I say to the darkness hide me from the CREATOR

 Or say to the day turn dark and cover me .

You still see me; the darkest darkness is like Light to you. You are everywhere I am or ever could be.

 LOGOS that appeared on the wall of LOGOS at Morningstar Castle on the day that the Champion was taken to the catacombs.

Chapter Three:

Out of the Darkness and into the LIGHT

The group moved towards the lowest level of the Temple, with the master class inquisitor in front leading the way. Tal was being physically hauled down the stairway by the two temple guardians. His mouth was bleeding from a split lip.  He had received it after suggesting he was perfectly capable of walking to the catacombs without help. After smashing him in the mouth with a rock-hard fist, the guardian on the left, told him to keep his mouth shut.

“After all,” He said; “It has already gotten you in enough trouble for one night.”

Tal realized the guardian was right and he assumed they were just doing their job as they understood it.  Furthermore, he figured they were making sure the inquisitor saw  they weren’t showing the heretic any mercy.   If they showed him mercy or kindness, then it might be remembered later.  That could cause problems for the one who’d acted in showing kindness or mercy. No one wanted the kind of problems that ended with them in the torture chamber known as the inquisition hall.

   As they passed the servant's level and entered into the Inquisitor’s training level Tal realized the doors here had something no door in any of the other training levels had, locks.  No one entered the domain of the Inquisitors without someone letting them in. Reversely no one left the domain of the Inquisitors without someone letting them out. 

From the training level, they reached the first of three levels of testing cells. This was where those suspected of having the Taint of Darkness would await their call to the Testing for taint. Tal was grateful not to be stopping, but he was well aware when he had no instructors name to give the Chief Confessor this would be his next stop. 

“Was it worth it?” He wondered. “Was reading, copying, and meditating on the forbidden texts really worth all the trouble he was headed for?” 

The despair over what he was about to endure washed over him. However, it couldn’t diminish the closeness to the LIGHT GIVER he felt within that scroll.  He remembered another passage from the scroll that summed up his feelings very well.  The LIGHT GIVER had asked his followers once, after a number of people had turned against him, if they would leave him as well. One of them had replied, just like Tal’s heart did now; “Where else can we go your words bring us to life.”

As that thought took root in his mind, the group exited the stairs having arrived at the deepest level of the Temple.  They were standing in a short hallway with a large ironwood door, and two wall mounted torches on either side.  The Master Inquisitor removed the key from his pocket as they approached the door and unlocked it. He then took the torch from the left side of the wall and taking Tal by the arm entered the catacombs. 

Just inside the door the Master Inquisitor looked back at the guardians and said: “I’m taking him to the first turn. Wait here for my return and whatever you do don't let this door close until I get back.” The guardians nodded and took up positions on either side of the door frame blocking the door open.