Debut Game-02

Chapters will vary in length sorry about that -- This one is a long one for example... I tried to trim it down!

I wasn't sure what I had run toward.  I was breathless by the time I made it to the building.  It was the only one with electricity, an apartment building the red glow around it made it seem menacing. 

Carefully walking toward the building I stepped inside and flinched as blue and red lights scanned behind me.  I turned around looking at them, considering walking back out but someone spoke first.

"I wouldn't go back out if I were you."  A man in a fedora hat said and they tossed something out the open door.  The second it passed the gap I had just walked through a red beam shot through the item and it fell to the ground with a burning hole in it.

Flinching, I nodded and turned back into the room with a shaky breath.  On a table there were phones and a sign saying to take one.  I walked over and looked over the table carefully, I could feel eyes on me as I picked up a phone and moved back to the wall. I glanced around the room I took in the other people.

There was the man in the Fedora hat who was now harassing these two other guys who appeared to be friends. One was tall with blonde hair and the other was shorter and was a bit unkept. Nervously pacing was a guy in a blue hat, I wondered briefly if he was just as confused as I was.

There were two girls huddled together in a corner whispering to each other and shaking but looking at them made me uncomfortable and it made me miss Ashley. I noticed a larger man in camo pants with a lanky guy behind him, he looked angry so I went to look away when I noticed they had matching bracelets....

Were they a couple? That gave me a sour taste.. they didn't seem to suit each other but.. love was love.

"Do you know what's going on?"  A sudden voice startled me and I looked to the side to see the guy in a blue hat.

Blinking I swallowed, "N.. no.  I just.. Found myself alone.. And now i'm here."  I said quietly and he nodded.  I didn't want everyone to know I was 'new' or confused, I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not... Everyone else seemed to have a general idea about what was happening however and I didn't want to get taken advantage of by being the outcast.

"Same here.. Everyone just disappeared. It was really weird.  I was told I had to play the games or die.. But that's crazy."  He said and I blinked... he was sweet seeming but naive.

"I'm Tatta."  He held his hand out and I nodded, taking his hand and shaking it with a small shy smile.

"I'm Kaito."  I said and he smiled, "Kaito?"  He asked confused and I nodded while turning my head to look around the room again noticing a girl had come in now in gym clothing.

"I'm aware it's a boy's name."  I said absentmindedly and his eyes widened.

"O- Oh I wasn't- I'm so sorry."  He blushed and I raised an eyebrow not expecting him to get so flustered.  People got hung up on my name all the time back home.. Or before this..? I heard a soft snicker and turned my head to finally see the person who was looking at me, the reason I felt so watched. A blonde leaned against a wall slightly tucked into a corner. His arms were crossed and his head was slightly pointed down but I could see see his deep brown almost black eyes staring directly at me from under his white hood.

I titled my head feeling warm but uncomfortable from his gaze but before I could say anything an announcement went off.

Welcome Players

Game Tag

Level 5 of Spade

Looking back at the older guy I heard him now explaining to Tatta what the cards meant, I didn't even notice him move. Spade was physical... I could handle that but I regretted leaving my bag on campus.

Objective Find the Safe Zone in one of the rooms

Do not let the tagger tag you

Time Limit 20 minutes

I glanced at the phone in my hand and saw a timer pop up on it.

If you fail to find the safe zone before the time runs out the time bomb will be set to go off.

You will have a 5 minute head start before the tagger is released.

My eyes widened, what the hell was this?  I never agreed to playing any games that risked my life.  I remembered Tatta saying they had to play or they would die.. But playing seemed like a death wish. Twenty minutes to find a bomb in an entire apartment complex but also avoiding someone? This was impossible..

Sighing I clicked the phones lock and put it in my pocket as the game started.  Everyone rushed for the stairs and I paused, it would take longer to get up the stairs with everyone fighting up them.

Looking to the side I saw an elevator with one other person heading toward it.  Nodding my head I walked toward it, shocking the other person who didn't expect anyone to join him clearly.

"Which floor?"  He asked with a raised eyebrow and I glanced at the numbers.

"You're going to the top floor?"  I asked, seeing the number 7 button already lit up.  He nodded and glanced at me, probably still waiting for me to pick a floor. Something about him and his dark eyes and blank expression ticked me off, not in an angry way but it spiked my anxiety. I didn't feel like he was someone I was supposed to trust.. yet part of me wanted to so badly.

"Are you actually checking any of the rooms up there?"  I asked next and he smirked softly and leaned back on the wall as the elevator moved.  "Smart move."  Was all he said and I got the impression that meant he was not checking them.. but was perhaps impressed I bothered to ask.

Once the elevator got to the 7th floor we both got out, he went to a corner to watch the floors below and I was actually going to the doors to try each handle and make sure the safe zone wasn't up there.

After checking each door I stopped and glanced down at the lower levels right as the tagger was released.

"Satisfied?"  He asked and I glanced at him.

His eyes were dark like the coffee I used to crave back home, his gaze was intense and it made me feel insecure and exposed yet comfortable and warm at the same time.

"I wasn't going to trust you to do it."  I said blankly and glanced down at the other floors again.  He was taken aback by my answer; it seemed since he just stared at me before a small smirk decorated his lips.

I noticed the man in camo and his... boyfriend(?) come up to the top floor and look in our direction. Coffee eyes gave them a wave but he just glared at the other and walked off.

"That wasn't very nice." He muttered and I chuckled softly noticing he had the same bracelet.

"Oh. Did you have a fight?" I asked and he turned to look at me.

"I think.. you three look fucked together but.. if they make you happy in whatever place this is go for it, just say sorry even if you're not in the wrong and move past whatever fight it was." I smiled and patted his shoulder.

He looked at me with the most blank yet confused expression I had ever seen but I wasn't wasting anymore time on his weird relationship.

"I'll leave you to it."  I said and turned to leave, I could feel him watching me as I walked off. He had a staring problem I noted, maybe that was their problem with him too.

I continued checking each door on the floors I cleared, I had cleared 7-5 but was currently ducked behind a corner as the tagger was walking by.  The blonde watched the scene with interest from the 7th floor.

"She's a baseball player?"  He hummed to himself as he noted her pants, she might be useful he wondered.