33. Being an Idiot

Mira

My shoulder hit the wall with a dull thump before gravity pulled me to the floor. My other shoulder bore the brunt of that impact, although my hip caught a good hit, too. I lay between the bed and the wall, the carpet rough against my cheek, and wondered what had happened.

"I killed her! I killed her!"

"She's tough." Rome's dry voice was getting closer. "I'm sure she survived a little thing like that."

Kerry broke into cursing. I knew I should get up and reassure him, but the floor wasn't moving as much as the rest of the room was, so I stayed where I was.

Then Rome was there. His mouth a thin line, he knelt next to me and ran his hands over my head, neck, back and shoulders. I knew he was checking for breaks, but that didn't stop the shivers that raced up my spine at his gentle touch.

"I am ... confused." I blinked up at him, feeling like an owl.

He snorted.

"Not surprised." He leaned back on his haunches. "Kerry can't stand physical contact. When someone touches him, it triggers his hindbrain to attack. He's working on it, but it's slow going. I assumed Gigi had caught you up to speed. I apologize for the oversight. Are you okay?"

I processed everything he said before I answered.

"Yeah. Let me get up."

He stood with a hiss that made me think he was in pain, then held out his hand.

"Here. I'll help."

"Kerry said you were injured. And I'm fine. I can do it myself, Sir Serious."

I gathered my feet under me and stood, but I staggered and his hand latched onto my elbow, steadying me.

"Thanks." I shook my head, trying to clear it.

"You're going to have a bruise." He touched his fingers to his left cheekbone. "Right here."

"I'll have more than one," I assured him with a snarky smile.

"Better talk to him." He tilted his head in Kerry's direction. "He's panicking."

Confused again, I looked over - and my jaw dropped.

Kerry was lit up with power.

I mean, lots of power.

Like, more power than I knew was possible from one neph. Lightning spat and crackled along his skin, his hair stood straight up, and his eyes—

Normally, I'd say he had the most beautiful eyes in the world. Siberian-husky blue and as smooth as glass. Now, they lit up the room like cold hellfire.

"I'm okay, Kerry." I kept my voice low and even, not wanting to be the match to this gasoline fire. "Settle down."

"I'm sorry!" He locked his hands behind his head. "I'm so sorry! Are you alive?"

"She's standing here talking to you, isn't she?" Rome snapped.

Kerry lapsed into swearing again, and I traded a look with Rome. He shrugged, his face saying it was up to me how I wanted to handle this. I turned back to Kerry.

"Calm down!" I frowned. "I'm fine!"

"Are you sure you're okay? You hit the wall pretty hard."

"So I'll have a few bruises. I've had worse."

"You grabbed me." He dropped his arms. "You can't do that. Please don't do that. Okay? I think I had a heart attack when you hit the wall."

"You and me both. No touching. Got it. Good to know. I'm sor—"