Chapter Twenty-Six: Hope - I'll Take That From Them First

Picture is Jeremy Irons as Gregory Killbane aka the Black Death.

Music is "Ready Or Not" remix for the Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation trailer.

All rights go to their rightful owners.

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

"People would look to the sky and see hope - I'll take that from them first." ~Ultron

· ~ · ~ · ~ ·

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

"Gregory Killbane." The name slips off my tongue and is as sharp as a knife to my gut.

No. No, he cannot be here. He's not supposed to be here!

"I go by that name now," he says. "I guess that must be the title you know me by in your world. My real name is something I forgot long ago." His smile turns something evil as black fire starts surrounding him. "Ready or not, Gloria. Here I come."

I don't care what else he has to say. As soon as I see him open his hands, palms up, and black fire starts raging around him, I grab Vision by the arm and teleport us at least a mile away, but not before a small piece of the black fire burns me on the back of my right hand. The only thing I hear now is the menacing laughter that we left behind.

When I drop us by the hospital, surrounded by screaming people again, I start gasping for air, winded by both the strength I've used and the fact that I never expected to see someone I hate so much again.

Vision turns to me and looks at me strangely. "Well, that was odd."

"That man is a very, very bad man," I say, my hands shaking from adrenaline. "He is very dangerous. I-I-" My voice trembles and I can't get a control of it. I close my eyes and sit down on the ground, curling up into a ball. I rock back in forth, focusing on my breathing.

Vision sits down beside me and pats my back, awkwardly, as if he's unsure of what to do. "Breathe, Glory. Take a deep breath. It will help. Did you know this man?"

I nod, still unable to speak.

"In your world?"

"H-He was an ex b-boyfriend. Very a-a-abusive. He almost k-killed m-me, if it weren't for P-Pietro..."

"I read that he had anger management concerns." Vision keeps rubbing my back. "Does this help? It helps Wanda when she is overwhelmed."

I smile a little. "It h-helps a lot, Vision."

Vision gives me a slight smile and looks around us at the terrified people. "A good portion of Manhattan has been affected by this black flame. We should expect to see the government here any time."

"Oh yay," I whisper under my breath. "Government."

"Shall I retrieve Pietro for you?"

"W-Where is he?"

"Looking for you."

"Why are the coms out?"

"They are not. It must be just yours."

"What a-about all these p-people? Shouldn't w-we help them?"

"The government will help them, but they will want them to be quarantined until they know for sure what this black flame did to them. The best hope for us figuring out what it is is to evacuate and return later."

I nod, trusting him. He's so wise for such a young being. I can see why Wanda likes him. "I don't think I-I can fly or teleport again. Can you help m-me to the Quinjet?"