01. THE BURROW

CHAPTER ONE

-: fourth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY ALL ARRIVE AT THE WEASLEYS'

AT THE WEASLEYS'

. . .

WHEN EMILY-ANNE WOKE UP one summer morning, she knew she wasn't alone in her room. For one, she awoke with a start, and with it being summer she tended to laze around as she awoke blearily, with sleep in her eyes and her mother already having been in to make sure her windows and curtains were open.

There was usually the sound of birds, the stream that ran outside her window, the low sound of music from the kitchen as her mum made her way around making posies to dry. Instead, there was the low rumble of voices, and Emily could hear... rummaging.

She sat up with a start, eyes wide open. She had been dreaming about Hogwarts again, about playing Quidditch before it was interrupted by Dementors and a black dog running about the grounds. But that was all forgotten, as she looked about and saw two identical heads of ginger hair scouring the contents of her room.

Fred was looking over her desk, leafing through the grimoire and making faces about incantations he found on a page decorated with hearts and flowers. "You should try this, George. On Angelina." He grinned.

"Fuck off." His brother shook his head. George was standing by the altar next to her window, examining crystals and then picking up the engraved wooden incense holder to smell it, trying to take some of the ash that remained from the night before and watching it crumble into his fingertips, staining them. "Do you think she has enough plants, Freddie?"

"Never been in a girl's room before, boys?" Emily's voice made them jump and they turned around, looking guiltier than ever.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Fred winked at her and she recoiled.

"Gross. No, never." She shook her head, becoming momentarily aware that she wasn't wearing much at all, courtesy of the summer heat, and pulled a cardigan over her that was hung on her bedpost. "Did my mum send you in here?"

"She thought you would be awake." George shrugged and sat at the end of her bed. "We said we would wake you if not."

"And instead you decided to snoop around my belongings?" She stood up, crossed over to her altar and rearranged it all into its rightful position. "These things can't just be moved, they're put there in a particular way." She continued to mutter under her breath, quick apologies for the twin's utter incompetence.

"Who's the naked chick?" Fred asked, sat at her desk chair now.

"Shut up - do not say another word!" Emily glared at him. She continued her apologies hurriedly. "Aphrodite." She told him, rather matter-of-fact. "And I assume you're here to take me to the Burrow, which means I'll have to be very considerate to make up for your rudeness before I leave. Without either of you two here."