Chapter 3

Word Count:1091
Hours Taken: 2
Chapter 3
--------------------------------------------------

"Are we there yet..?" I grumbled.

We have been walking for hours, my feet feeling sore as a numbing sensation started at the tips of my toes. I groaned with each step, hunched over and dead looking, all my energy wiped away from my body. Giyu, however, was unaffected, baffled that he looked so calm and composed. I started to wonder how he seemed fine after walking this long. Was he even human? Shouldn't he be the one in pain?

"We are almost to the Headquarters," Giyu informed me.

That very statement was euphonious to hear, and as we approached, the energy that was sapped out of me returned. But when you finish one problem, there's always another. As the buildings appeared over the horizon, my ears perked, but when I saw the wisteria trees surrounding said buildings, my ears drooped. I had completely forgotten about the wisteria trees surrounding the whole area, knowing that demons are very much affected by these flowers, equivalent to a vampire seeing a cross.

Even though I knew these trees would paralyze me with the slightest touch, they were very resplendent and sublime. The redolent aroma it gave was very appealing to my nose, the flower's sweet yet musky scent making a good contrast. However, I grew nervous the more we approached these trees, always too scared to go near them ever since I transformed.

"There are pedals all over the ground... I don't know if I can avoid them all." I pointed out as I stood outside the border of the trees, looking up at how grand and dense they were, admiring the pretty purple color. However, my focus was broken when I felt myself get swept up off my feet, gasping when I felt that I was being held in a bridal style.

"I'll take you through here, hold on," Giyu said. It took me a moment to come to the realization that he was holding me, and I felt myself grow embarrassed and slightly uncomfortable. I met this man a few times when I was human, but we never talked, so to me, this felt like we just met. Yet, I did what he asked and hung my arms loosely around the back of his neck, not opposed to being this close, but it was our only option. Then, the wind gushed past me as he quickly rushed through the trees, avoiding whenever a peddle tried to land on me. It was hard to see, his speed so fast that it stung my eyes, my h/c hair not being much help as it blew in my eyes.

But before I knew it, we were past the trees and into a whole new area. It was a familiar place to me, I recognized the master's home; I used to play with his kids when I was off duty. What good memories it brought me. However, they were cut short when Giyu slid me out of his arms, plopping me on my feet as I adjusted my messed-up hair.

"Thank yo-"

"My estate is this way. You can stay there to wait out the sun." He said, walking in the direction of where he lived.

I huffed, disliking when I got interrupted, but I stubbornly walked with him. Eventually, we made it to his house. Upon entering, Giyu shut all the windows and soon disappeared into an off-room, leaving me standing in the middle of the other room, unsure of what to do next. Then, minutes later, he came back out, extending his arm and pointing to the inside of the room.

"This is your room. Stay in here until you're needed." He said, making me gulp as I was unsure what he needed me for. After all, he's been avoiding my questions whenever I ask what's going to happen with me here.

"Until I'm needed? What's going to happen to me here?" I asked, my voice sounding serious since I wanted an answer, his expression seeming to darken with a slight hint of confusion.

"I don't know. But you're probably going to have to prove to the other Hashira that you don't eat humans. But in the end, it's up to the master to decide." He answered. I stood there in complete shock, my lower eyelid twitching from anger. He doesn't know? I'm literally gambling my life right now! I knew I should have run away when I had the chance! However, I took a deep breath and calmed myself down, forcing a smile.

"Let's say the master lets me live, what then? Am I free to go?" I asked, my fluffy fox tail swishing in irritation.

"Probably not. You would most likely get assigned with one of the Hashira to be looked after. After all, you are a demon."

I blinked at the idea of being constantly monitored and watched, yet I understood why, but it was still annoying to think about. However, I sighed, respectably bowing to Giyu before entering the room and hearing the door behind me shut.

I looked around and saw a single futon with some decorative pieces, looking very boring and uninteresting, fitting Giyu quite well.

Then, I laid on my katana down, sighing in relief as I sat on the futon, my rear end blessed to have something soft to sit on. I have been hopping from cave to cave, so this was very refreshing to feel. However, in my moment of bliss, the uneasy feeling never left me. What's going to happen? Is the other hashira going to kill me? What will the master think? So many questions flooded my head, my anxiety building up as I was starting to regret coming here. However, I looked for positive things in this moment of stress, convincing myself that I'll have a good rest now that I have a futon.

Figuring I need to rest off this anxiety, I lay down, staring up at the ceiling. I still need to live, to kill that bastard who murdered my friend and turned me into this fox demon. Speaking of fox, I took Fumiko's mask off my head and examined it, tracing my fingertips on the rims of the mask. I miss her, everyone...

As I pondered and reminisced about the past, my eyes soon grew heavy. Then, everything went black. I never had this good of sleep in a long time, even with the anxiety of the Hashira meeting. But, this futon was too comfy.

--------------------------------------------------
Apologies that this chapter is rushed, I was wanting to quickly write things up since I felt like I hadn't posted in a while. But, I hope you still enjoyed!