Perfect Intersection

HASAN

It was the first day of on-the-ground surveillance for the drug runners case. I woke up earlier than usual to offer an extra prayer and then got to work ahead of schedule.

Naina was back and she would join us to supervise Maheen like a handler. I was already in the car, checking emails on my work phone when both ladies got into the back seat.

"Plus, Hasan will be with you," Naina says as we get into the car. "He'll take care of you if anything happens."

I don't respond to their chatter, trying to focus on this important email from my supervisor.

"I'll be okay Naina," Maheen's voice pipes up. For so early in the morning, she's already full of mischief, which is evident in her voice. "Hasan's manicure is fresh, I won't risk ruining that for him."

I have to really compose myself to stop from laughing and encouraging this.

The agent who's driving us and Naina do laugh though and I can't stop from rolling my eyes.

"So," Naina's voice is low, presumably speaking to Maheen. "Zinat bhabhi bata rahi thi mujhe tumhari aur Saif ki baatein hui hain. Kuch socha tumne? Kaisa laga woh? (Zinat was telling me you and Saif have been talking. Has anything progressed? How did you like him?)."

Her voice is super quite and there's music playing in the car but I can hear almost all of it. My eyes shift to the rearview mirror and unfortunately Maheen catches me looking at her. Instead of looking away though, I hold her gaze, waiting for her answer.

"Yeah, he's nice," she absentmindedly responds to Naina.

"Nice? Oh come on, it's been like two weeks, you haven't figured out more than nice?" Naina asks confusedly. "Uss ne toh Zinat Bhabhi ko bol diya hai ke woh tumhe pasand karta hai. Tum bhi soch lo. (He's already told his sister he likes you. You should reflect on whatever you are feeling too). No pressure though," Naina pats her leg.

So that's who Saif is- Zinat's brother who apparently has been set up with Maheen.

I feel my jaw clench and take a deep breath to calm myself down. There was literally no reason to be annoyed by this revelation.

"Hasan," Naina's voice snaps me out of my thoughts. I turn my head slightly so she knows I'm listening. "I need to talk to you about the Tourquette case, let me know when you have time tomorrow or Monday."

I hum in agreement.

"I like this song," our driver-John- turns up the radio. It's a Bollywood song, something he has become familiar with driving me, Naina, and Namrata on missions.

Maheen starts to cough a little. It's more of a mangled laugh that comes out of her. I look over at her and notice she indeed is holding back a laugh, if her pink face is any indication.

"Yeah, nice song," she says, almost gaspingly.

I notice the song playing then. A Deepika Padukone song. I shake my head at Maheen, settling back into my seat.

Naina is looking between the two of us confusedly. "What's so funny?"

Maheen opens her mouth to say something decidedly stupid but I cut her off. "Nothing Naina, nothing is funny."

---

We were seated at a table outside of a street corner's café. Maheen was sitting across from me, staring longingly at the danish in front of her. But we couldn't eat anything of course, in case we had to start running it would be a choking hazard.