Late Day. Carson Wells grabs a light pole stanchion to hoist himself onto the guardrail. He stands atop it, eyeing the chain-link fence across the walkway. He climbs down and crosses to the fence and looks down: The brown, sluggish water of the Rio Grande. LOOKING DOWN THE WALKWAY Carson Wells enters the frame and recedes down the walkway. When he draws even with the next stanchion he looks down through the fence: Cane on the riverbank and one gnarled tree. Twilight. Carson Wells enters the hotel and crosses the lobby.

Carson Wells appears around the corner and we pull him as he mounts the stairs. When he is about halfway up a figure -- focus does not hold him -- rounds the corner behind and silently follows, holding a fat-barreled shotgun loosely at his side. After a few steps, Carson Wells stops, frowning, cued by We don't know what. Their focus drops back as he turns. Chigurh raises the shotgun. "Hello, Carson. Let's go to your room."

Chigurh sits in a chair drawn up to face the armchair where Carson Wells sits. Wells is a day trader and could go home, but Chigurh doesn't want her to do so, as she knows where the money is.

Wells and Chigurh are discussing the possibility of Chigurh having a better life than Wells. Chigurh suggests that Wells should admit his situation and go to hell. Wells then asks Chigurh if the rule he followed brought him to this, of what use was it? Chigurh then asks Wells if he has any idea how crazy he is. Wells then asks Chigurh if the rule he followed brought him to this, of what use was it?

Wells and Chigurh are discussing the nature of the conversation, and Chigurh looks at Wells equably. Wells agrees to give Anton the money. The phone rings. Wells looks at the phone. Chigurh hasn't moved. Wells looks at Chigurh, waiting for a decision. The low chug of the shotgun. Aside from his finger on the trigger, Chigurh hasn't moved. He sits staring at Wells's remains for a beat. Now his look swings onto the phone. He watches it ring twice more. He picks it up and listens without speaking.

Moss's voice asks Chigurh if Carson Wells is there, but Chigurh doesn't answer. Chigurh gives Moss a beat and then asks him to come to see him.

Moss is at a public phone in the Mexican Hospital Ward, tensed with the phone to his ear. Chigurh asks Moss if he needs to talk to him, but Moss refuses. Chigurh then asks Moss if he knows where Chigurh is going, but Moss refuses. Chigurh then asks Moss if he knows where Chigurh is going, but Moss refuses.

Chigurh notices something on the floor and adjusts to sit back and raises his boots onto the bed. On the floor where his feet were, blood is pooling out from Wells's chair. Moss is in the hospital across the river, but he doesn't know where he is going.

Moss offers Chigurh a deal: Moss will bring Moss the money and Moss will let her go. Chigurh agrees and Moss offers to make Chigurh a special project. Moss slams the phone onto its hook, then slams it twice more for good measure. Chigurh, in the hotel room, cradles his phone.

Sheriff Bell sits at his usual booth but with an unaccustomed look: reading glasses. He has been looking at a newspaper but is now peering over his glasses up at Wendell who interrupted his reading. Bell asked. "The motel in Del Rio?" Wendell Nods.

Wendell Yessir is suspicious of three Mexicans who have been reported missing. He inquires about the cylinder lock, which was punched out, and finds that the boys died of natural causes due to the line of work they were in. Bell rattles the paper, indicating that it is an all-out war.

Last week, a couple in California was found to be renting out rooms to old people and killing them and burying them in the yard, and cashing their social security checks. Neighbors were alerted when a man ran from the premises wearing only a dog collar. Wendell shakes his head and tsks, and Sheriff Bell rattles the paper again. Wendell bites back a smile, and Sheriff Bell gazes at him over his glasses for a long beat, deadpan. He goes back to the paper, but there isn't much else he can do.

Moss, a coat thrown over his hospital robe, is standing before a uniformed INS official on the Rio Grande bridge. The official, who looks like a marine drill instructor, is chewing. He chews for a long beat, staring at Moss. He finally spits tobacco juice and pats his lower lip with a handkerchief.

The most important details in this text are that the officer is deciding who gets through the gate into the United States of America, and that the officer asks questions to determine if the person is eligible to go. The officer then asks the person how they come to be out here with no clothes, and if they are in the service. The officer then asks the person if they are jacking with him, and if they are in the service. The officer then asks the person if they are in the service, and if they are in the service.

Moss is a veteran who served two tours in the Twelfth Infantry Batallion. The official stares at him, chewing and sour. Wilson is the guard and the official asks Moss to help him get into town.

Moss is walking in his boots, overcoat, and hospital robe, asking the clerk if he needs anything else. The clerk explains that it is unusual for people to come in without clothes, as it is unusual for them to do so.

We are looking across the Rio Grande. Moss appears over the near edge of the river bank, newly clothed, and holding the document case. As he reaches the top of the bank he frowns and twists his neck, responding to an irritation. He feels around with his free hand inside the back of the shirt collar. A sharp yank. His hand comes away with a small tag.

The document case is resting on a small foreground counter. Moss is at a pay phone, one hand holding the phone to his ear, the other resting on the case. The voice on the phone is old, female, and querulous:

Moss is talking to Carla Jane Llewelyn on the phone. She is upset that she doesn't want to talk to him, but Moss tells her what is going to happen. She then hears scruffing sounds, a sharp "Mama!", and then a phone call from Carla Jane asking her what she should do. MOSS knows what is going on.

The most important details in this text are that Carla Jean has had a sheriff from Terrell County come to her home and tell her that she is hurt and that she can hear it in her mother's voice. Llewelyn is going to meet Carla Jean at the Heart of Texas motel in El Paso and give her the money and put her on a plane. Carla Jean is going to find Llewelyn and join her in the lurch. Carla Jean is also going to find the sheriff and join him in the lurch. Carla Jean is going to find the sheriff and join him in the lurch. Carla Jean is going to find the sheriff and join him in the lurch.

Meanwhile, At the office, A lock cylinder. It blows in. The hole shows a brightly lit cinderblock wall behind. The door swings open and the air tank is swung in and deposited on the carpet. Wider: Chigurh enters the carpeted hallway from the cinderblock stairwell, holding the tricked-out shotgun. The hallway is white wallboard, doors opening off it at long intervals. Chigurh stands still and listens. Nothing but the hum of ventilation. He walks quietly to the one open door twenty feet away.

He enters. The man who hired Carson Wells is behind his desk, in front of the floor-to-ceiling windows. He looks up from papers, slipping off his reading glasses. On seeing the shotgun he opens a desk drawer and starts to rise. Chung -- the shotgun blast knocks him back. Shot pits but doesn't break the window. A man in a suit rises and turns from the chair opposite the desk, very slowly, as if to advertise that he is not a threat. Chigurh ignores him and rounds the desk to look at the man gurgling on the floor. After a beat, still looking down at the man he has shot:

Chigurh is a long-beating man at a desk in Accounting, who finally looks up at him. Chigurh gives Acosta's people a receiver, but the man at the chair feels the more people looking, so he uses birshot instead. The man stares at Chigurh for a beat, then asks him if he is going to shoot him. Chigurh looks at the man for a beat, then asks him if he sees him. The man stares at Chigurh for a beat.