Chapter 25: Excruciating Insurmountable Misery

Start from the beginning

"I did...Until she revealed she had been hiding the cure from me for over a decade."

Hayley's brows raised in disbelief but when Rebekah turned to her brother, she only saw the sagging shoulders of a guilty party.

"I assume that means you knew about this too, then?" Rebekah asked, her brother turned his eyes away from her and that was answer enough. "Of course."

"Rebekah I am sorry for the part I had to play in that," Nik said as he tentatively took her hand in his. "We were wrong to do that—I was wrong to do that."

The earnestness in her brother; s eyes reminded Rebekah that her brother was not the cruel villain of her story that he once had been. Still, she could not so easily relieve herself of the anger she felt towards him.

"You're always sorry Nik," she said as she pulled away her hand. "I wish you were better instead."

Her brother was taken aback by her words, but nodded in understanding.

"Rebekah, your brother is an asshole a lot of the time, but he always has been," Hayley said, earning a glare from Klaus that she paid no mind to. "When we have dealt with our current problem, I will happily back up your issues with him, but right now we need to focus on Fiore. The three of us have to show her that what she did was not okay, and we are not gonna play house with her now just because she was forced to come back."

Rebekah cocked her head towards Hayley in shock, "Oh you think...Hayley, there is to be no alliance between you and Klaus against Fiore."

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Klaus asked with a frown.

"It means if Fiore were to walk into this room right now, your eyes would turn heart-shaped and any and all threats against her are to be eliminated," Rebekah continued with a shrug before turning back to Hayley. "I'll give it a week before they're sleeping together."

Klaus wanted to protest, but when Hayley looked to him to refute the claims, he turned away sheepishly, not wanting his lack of resolve to be so obvious. Rebekah watched this display and simply laughed as the truth dawned on her.

"Unless they already are...?" She posited.

"No way," said Hayley. "We are staying mad at her. Right Klaus?"

"Exactly," Klaus said with his head held high. "The reason I run back to Fiore's side in the past has been my own faults. This time she is in the wrong and it is her who is to come running back to me."

"So you slept with her in Texas?"

Klaus did not answer.

"Again, no way," Hayley refuted once more. "Look at how angry he is, he would never. Right Klaus?"

Again, silence.

"Right Klaus?" This time Hayley had to pull the wool from her eyes. "Damn it, Klaus!"

"What did you expect me to do?" The hybrid asked in exasperation. "I have spent a thousand years loving no one else but her!"

"And then she abandoned you—erased herself from your mind—without your permission!" Hayley insisted. "She broke this home apart with her secrets! You cannot just run back to her, Klaus."

"I won't."

Rebekah scoffed, "He most certainly will. Getting in between Kliore is a fool's errand. Many have tried and every one of them have failed."

"Klaus is with Amelia now."

"And Fiore was engaged. Twice. Yet the only man to call her wife stands before you."