34. Domare

Apologies do not come naturally to me. I trail after Winston the next morning, words of remorse tangled in my throat. He does a stellar job of pretending I'm not there.

When he comes to stand post in a hall near the lounge, I slide down the wall across from him, sprawling on the floor with my legs spread all willy-nilly like a sulking baby horse—what are those called? A colt? Horses sound like terrifying creatures.

Winston should report me. It's after-hours. But of course he doesn't, because it would require him to acknowledge my presence, so I put on a show.

I sigh. I groan. I pout.

My aggrieved sounds are loud enough that more than one person has stuck their head out from a door to shush me, but he still won't look. He aims a thousand yard stare down the shadowy hallway, hellbent on pretending to be deaf. He's all pent up, arms crossed tightly against his chest, teeth grinding. His sleeves are rolled up above his elbows, his pale skin a magnet for my eager eyes. The muscles of his forearms are taught with stress, untensing only long enough for him to occasionally scratch at his scarred wrist.

I bite my lip when he finally breaks skin with a fingernail, and his corrupt blood-scent wafts toward me. The pervading chemical reek keeps my secondary teeth from ascending as my mouth waters.

Great Vlad. He never learns, does he?

Having realized himself, he stops scratching, instead staring forlornly at the blood under his fingernail. I'm smart enough not to tell him how badly I'd like to suck on that finger.

"I'm sorry," he says suddenly, throwing me for a loop.

"Why are you sorry?"

"I called you a monster. Clare told me it upset you."

My shoulders draw up without my permission, and suddenly I'm the one looking away. "You only thought it. It was not my place to overhear such a thing. I know better. I apologize for invading your privacy."

"Why didn't you tell me that you were back?" he asks, still obviously bitter.

"I was nervous. I didn't know what to say to you after...well, is it fair to call that a break up?"

He smiles thinly. "I guess."

"You're back with Lynn, I assume."

He stares at me for a long moment. "Noooo? Why would I? I don't need you eating anyone for my sake."

"Is that the only reason you haven't gone back to her?"

"Domare. Seriously?"

I nervously rub the inside of my leg with my foot. I'm in socks and sweats. I hadn't bothered with shoes for this outing. Everyone else is asleep anyway. "The tether is weaker now. It might be safe," I say.

"Do you want me to get back with her?"

A snarl curls up my throat. I don't want him near anyone who isn't me, but I can't—shouldn't say so.

He laughs at the likely constipated look on my face. "Lynn's very sweet, but she's just a friend. I haven't bothered with anyone since. Well, other than you."

"You don't have to justify yourself to me."

He rolls his eyes, then rubs a hand down his face. "See, you don't get to decide that. Christ, you're so damn condescending."

"Right. I...sorry." I stare up at the ceiling and sigh. "I don't know how to talk about this." I glance around, seeking a distraction. My gaze settles on his boots. "So this sentry thing is...boring? But better than laundry?"