xxxvii. maybe i'll wash my hair

XXXVII. MAYBE I'LL WASH MY HAIR

"john booker routledge, pursuant to the north carolina statute section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances

"john booker routledge, pursuant to the north carolina statute section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. if convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty."

"what?" briar choked on her tears. she grasped jj's hand tightly.

"your honor, he's 17!" jj yelled, still holding briar's hand.

"stop," pope tapped jj.

"quiet," the judge ordered.

"he's 17! are you kidding me?" jj continued. briar sniffled.

"you're good," pope tried to get jj to back down.

"bailiff!" the judge yelled.

"hey, john b, we're gonna figure it out," jj called to john b in his orange jumpsuit.

"i love you!" briar choked out as they took him away. "john b!" briar jogged towards where they dragged him away.

a guard roughly shoved her back. "stop! she's pregnant, don't touch her!" kie snapped.

"let's get out of here," kie held briar's arm.

the teens cleared out from the courthouse. briar tried to hide her tears as people around her whispered. he had it coming. justice is served.

"is this a joke?" kie asked as she held briar tight. "like, are we in hell or. . .?"

"i should have never come home," sarah sighed.

"they're gonna kill him, guys," jj said sadly. "i know it."

"i'm so sorry for what you and your family have gone through," the teens heads snapped to a man talking to ward. "thank god the system works."

"can you please shut up?" kie snapped. "of course you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you."

"he'll have his day in court. a jury will decide."

"he shouldn't even be in court!" kie yelled, her attention turning to ward. "you should, because you're a murderer. you have a lot of nerve showing up to court."

"i know you're upset. i understand you're upset, okay?" ward stepped in, rose holding his arm.

"upset?" kie almost laughed.

"i know he's got you fooled," ward continued.

"he's got us fooled?" briar chuckled lowly. "you have everyone fooled, you murdering, classist, asshole!"

"no, we're not just upset!" kie snapped and moved towards ward. shoupe and thomas grabbed her arms and yanked away.

"hey!" briar yelled and grabbed kie, pulled her back.