A Wife to be Let - ACT II.

Enter Celemena and Marilla.

CEL. Prithee, Good cousin, take a friend's advice, and cast off this obstinate humour of marrying the man who slights you, and slighting the man who loves you. Toywell has indeed a great estate, but Courtly knows how to use what he has handsomely, and is withall very easy in his circumstances. Can anyone, that has not taken an entire leave of her understanding, persist in a resolution of throwing herself away in this manner?

MAR. Allowing all that you have said, the religious observance I owe to the vow I made my dying father, leaves me no choice.

CEL. If the dead could tell what we living are doing, I am apt to believe the old gentleman would quit his grave a while, to forbid the banns, and save his daughter from so visible a ruin; besides, the vow you made was forced, and consequently not binding. Heavens! It provokes me to see you act so contrary to reason, nay, to your own inclination too; for I am sure you love Courtly.

MAR. How came you so well acquainted with my thoughts, good cousin?

CEL. Prithee, none of your airs! I know you have sense enough to distinguish a man of parts from a fool.

Enter Servant.

SERV. Ladies, Mr. Courtly and a strange gentleman desire to know if you mc at leisure.

CEL. Show 'em up. [Exit Servant] Now let me see you use him as you used to do, and I protest I'll disclaim kindred with you.

MAR. You will—but I fancy I shall put it to the venture.

CEL. I wonder who he has brought with him.

Enter Courtly and Gaylove.

COURT. Ladies, I hope you will pardon my introducing a gentleman whose conversation will hereafter make his own apology. This, Captain, is Mr. Fairman's daughter; this, his niece.

CEL. We are too well acquainted with Mr. Courtly's delicacy, not to afford a ready welcome to any whom he calls friend, such entertainment, sir, as furnishes a homely country cottage, you may expect.

GAY. He must be covetous indeed, who could form a wish beyond what here is to be found.

CEL. [Aside This fellow has something in him prodigiously agreeable, I can't help liking him. ]Well, Mr. Courtly I have been labouring for you, you must now e'en speak for yourself.

COURTLY. If all that can betoken a sincere and ardent passion, could influence the fair Marilla to pity what I feel, she would not thus cruelly resolve to make my rival happy.

MAR. If you have any value for my quiet, you will forbear to urge a suit, which, were my inclination otherwise, is not in my power to grant; and consider me not as mistress of myself.

COURT. Should the man you purpose to bless, not know the value of the treasure you bestow, I do assure you, madam, 'twould give me an uneasiness almost equal to the loss of you.