Idalia - Part 3

How little are those blest with a paternal protection, able to comprehend the thousand dangers which attend a wandering and unguarded state of life! The unhappy Idalia, accompanied by that honest good-natured poor fellow, who had preserved her from the sea, had gone above half her journey to Rome without meeting any opposition; but happening to overtake three gentlemen, who falling into discourse with her on the road, had told her, they were travelling that way, she discharged her guide, as believing she should have no further need of him. Her men's clothes, which she became exceeding well, she thought was security enough from any of those insults she had of late been so terrified with, and the company of these gentlemen from the danger of losing her way, or any other inconvenience. But, alas! As much as she imagined she knew of the world, and as great a variety of adventures as she had gone through, she was now entering into a misfortune she had not the least notion of: she had not parted from her conductor above a quarter of an hour, before her new companions began to ask her, what her business was at Rome; how far she had travelled; the names of her parents; and a thousand other impertinent questions, which she was now a little puzzled in what manner to answer: but she thought there was no great occasion for disguising the story of her shipwreck, therefore she gave them a brief account of that; and as to the rest of the enquiries, only told them, that her design was for Naples, but having suffered so much by the uncertainty of the weather, she chose rather to take so long a journey by land, than trust any more to the mercy of the sea. They did not seem satisfied with this reply, but pressed her very much to let them know to what study she had been bred. "You appear," said one of them, "to be a very pretty youth; I cannot think you are of quality, because you are without an equipage, therefore must imagine your education has been either for the gown, or the army." "Doubtless it is so, added the other, and you have no reason to conceal the truth of your affairs from us, who probably may be of service to you." "Ay, resumed he that spoke first, that we may, provided he has but resolution. Hark ye," (continued he, looking on Idalia,) c"an you handle arms?. Have you ever learned to fence?" Interrogatories like these took from her all capacity of answering! She grew both terrified and amazed, though she knew not the cause, till one of them, who seemed to be the fiercest, gave her to understand they were of those who were called the banditti, and that if she would consent to list herself among them, she would never want for anything. At this information it was as much as she could do to keep herself from fainting away; but summoning all the little spirit she had left, at last she had courage to tell them, she had neither need, nor was fit for any such employ: but that she thanked them for their kind intentions; and endeavoured to make her refusal as civil as she could, fearing, and not without reason, that men who lived as they did, were not of a humour to endure plain-dealing. But all she could say, palliated not the bitterness of her first words, so much as to engage them to forgive the contempt with which they found themselves treated; and one of them looking on this fellow, presently cried, "Damn the little saucy rascal, let us stick him against a tree." "No," (replied the other, who seemed something more pitiful,) "let the foolish boy live to repent his refusing so good an offer; 'tis not worth our trouble to kill him." "Well then," said the first, "we'll see what a stock of money he has that makes himself above societing with us, he shall help to support us without his company." "Ay, ay," rejoined the other, with all my heart.

Poor Idalia was too much frighted all this while to be able to utter one word more, though by it she had been sure to save both her life, and that which was now almost as precious to her, that little money which had been raised on the last thing she had of value in the world, but suffered herself to be stripped of it without either entreating, or complaining. After they had ransacked her pockets, they contented themselves with what they found there, and killing the beast she rode on, (to prevent her making any pursuit after them, in case any persons should chance to come that way, and join with her in it,) left her to get to Rome as she could.