Caroline didn't acknowledge my words as Klaus approached. She stood from her seat quickly. Nervously.

Fearfully.

Klaus raised his hands. "Don't worry. I'm not going to hurt you." he said.

I stood as well, staying at her side in this time of need. I would not leave her alone until she asked me to go.

"You've done enough." Caroline whispered, not looking him in the eye.

"I've done more than enough." he said, "I've shown kindness. Forgiveness...pity." he looked to me. "But I did not do it for you, Caroline. You would do well to remember that."

She didn't answer. And he did not expect her to as Klaus's eyes again found my own, "Let's go home." It was not a command, or an order-no, I was sure he knew that if he ordered me to do anything it would not bode well for him. It was more of a suggestion.

"You go on ahead without me," I replied, casting a pointed glance to the distraught vampire at my side. "I'll be there soon."

He nodded in acceptance, albeit a bit hesitantly, and left without another word.

It was only when Klaus was gone again that Caroline allowed the tears to flow freely. Only when he was out of sight did she crumble in my arms again.

Still I felt like a horrible friend.

And not for the first time, I thought about leaving this dreaded town where everyone seemed to suffer without end.

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

I thanked every single god in existence when I returned home to find that even after they had taken my anti-magic chains, they still had the decency to leave the key. Or perhaps they just thought they were going to kill me and wouldn't need it.

Either way it was euphoric to hear the rattle of the chains dropping to the floor. Feel the rush of magic flooding back into my blood and bones.

I learned from my mistakes, taking the time to cast a cloaking spell on them. A near unbreakable one at that granted I cast at least six enchantments on them as well. I didn't entirely fancy losing my magic again.

I pulled up a loose floorboard, tucking the chains and key safely beneath the house where they would not be found or taken out hopefully ever.

It was only then did I let my mind wander. Wondering whether the Scooby-gang had returned from the island. Wondering if she had done her job.

A soft flurry of ice began to storm within me at the thought. At the notion of what came after.

A part of me regretted it. A lot of me regretted it.

But the other part...that part would be beyond pleased if everything worked out the way I had intended.

I walked through the mansion slowly, taking in every grand detail that shouted at me. I wanted to remember this place.

I wanted to keep it.

But that was not a possibility that was in my cards. When they returned, and if everything went smoothly, I would leave. There would no longer be a reason to stay in this place.

But that entailed leaving Klaus. Leaving Rebekah and Caroline.

I could not say I would be opposed if he wished ot come with me. Not anymore. I was done denying that I cared more deeply for him than I would ever be able to admit to my wretched self.