The Arkenstone

"Since when has my council counted for so little? What do you think I'm trying to do?!" Gandalf half shouted. His words just weren't getting through to the Elvenking.

"I think you're trying to save your Dwarvish friends. And I admire your loyalty to them, but it does not dissuade me from my course. You started this, Mithrandir. You will forgive me if I finish it." Thranduil stood and went to one of the guards standing outside the tent. "Are the archers in position?" Elros stepped into his view, ready to serve his King in whatever he was needed to do.

"Yes, my lord." The raven-haired elf responded.

"Give the order. If anything moves on that Mountain, kill it." He spoke, sending his guard off. "The Dwarves are out of time." Thranduil strode off to check on his warriors, leaving his daughter behind.

Aranel knew her father wouldn't be so easily swayed in his opinion and thus didn't attempt to change his mind.

"You! Bowman! Do you agree with this? Is gold so important to you? Would you buy it with the blood of Dwarves?!" Gandalf asked, ignoring the elven princess entirely.

"It will not come to that. This is a fight they cannot win." Bard spoke.

"That won't stop them. You think the Dwarves will surrender, they won't. They will fight to the death to defend their own." A new voice spoke up. Aranel joined Bard at his side and noticed a halfling, clad in red. It had been a long time since she'd seen or even heard of a Hobbit. This one was indeed far from home.

"Bilbo Baggins!" Gandalf's voice was brighter, happy to see his friend alive and well. Thranduil returned a few minutes later, sitting in his chair as the Hobbit stepped forward and was presented to him.

"If I'm not mistaken, this is the Halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons from under the nose of my guards." He eyed the small creature in front of him.

"Yes. Sorry about that." He spoke uncomfortably. Aranel made eye contact with her father for a moment before turning her attention back to the Hobbit.

"I came to give you this." Bilbo placed a small package on the table before them and unwrapped it, revealing a large white jewel. Aranel gazed at it in awe.

"The heart of the Mountain! The King's Jewel." Thranduil rose in surprise.

"And worth a King's ransom. How is this yours to give?" Bard asked.

"I took it as my fourteenth share of the treasure." He responded.

"Why would you do this? You owe us no loyalty." Aranel spoke up for the first time, shocking even her father.

"I'm not doing it for you. I know that Dwarves can be obstinate and pigheaded, and difficult, suspicious and secretive... with the worst manners you can possibly imagine. But they're also brave, kind, and loyal to a fault. I've grown very fond of them and I would save them if I can. Now, Thorin values this stone above all else. In exchange for its return I believe he will give you what you are owed. There will be no need for war." Bard turned his head to the King, wondering what his decision would be.