The King's Decision

The funeral had been sombre. Aranel had never seen a human funeral before, and hoped she'd never see another one, let alone an Elven funeral. The children that Theoden and Gandalf took into the Golden Hall ate ravenously as Eowyn sat with them. Aranel stood in front of a pillar next to Legolas and behind a seated Aragorn.

"They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot, and tree." The Princess of Rohan spoke.

"Where is mama!?" The young girl asked. Eowyn draped a blanket over the girl's shoulders.

"Shhh." She soothed the child.

"This is but a taste of the terror Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight." Gandalf advised the King. 

"You have 2000 good men riding north as we speak. Eomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their King." Aragorn twiddled with the pipe in his hands.

"They will be 300 leagues from here by now. Eomer cannot help us. I know what it is you want of me, but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war." Theoden stood.

"Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not." Aragorn stated bluntly.

"When last I looked, Theoden, not Aragorn, was King of Rohan." The King approached the Ranger, his eyes hard and set.

"Then what is the King's decision?" Gandalf asked. Theoden made his choice. Wanting to protect the people, he ordered the evacuation of the city to Helm's Deep in the distance. Aranel, Legolas and Gimli followed Gandalf and Aragorn to the stables.

"Helm's Deep. They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their King?" Gimli asked, carrying his freshly retrieved axe in hand. 

"They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king?"

"He's only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past." Aragorn responded, gripping his own weapons.

"There is no way out of that ravine. Theoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre. Theoden has a strong will, but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan." Gandalf spoke softly to Aragorn after that, something even Aranel's Elven hearing couldn't discern. 

"The Grey Pilgrim. That's what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of Men I've walked this Earth, and now, I have no time. With luck, my search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the east." Gandalf kicked his horse into a gallop, racing past Legolas, Aranel, and Gimli out of the stables.