Verse 5

Age 14

You had found yourself in a literal dumping ground; piles of shipping containers lay on the other like dead bodies. Who knows what sort of substances seeped into the soil; not even small animals remained. Here was the most desolate place in Yokohama you could find; it wasn't even located on any map you had seen. However, after the Dragon Head's Conflict ended, you were forced to continue visiting this shit hole. Here you were, in a place not even Port Mafia subordinates would dare explore. That reason was due to what lurked inside, near the area's centre, Dazai: someone you had recently become acquainted with and had already worked for a few times. It took some effort, but here you were, in front of a thrown-away container; this was where he resided. You knocked a pattern on the large container's doors and paused, waiting for an answer. No answer. Opening the door, you let yourself in. There he was, not even bothering to look your way, clearly finding his book more interesting than your arrival. The container consisted of a fridge, an exhaust fan, a desk and chair, a bed and a small light bulb. He was sitting at his desk, turning the pages of his book and continuing to read; all the while, his phone on the desk started to ring. Walking closer, you noticed the name 'Slug' and instantly recognised it as the man's partner, Nakahara Chuuya. However, like he usually would, he ignores it simply because he seems to find some small enjoyment in annoying Chuuya. Taking off your mask and loudly slamming it down onto his desk, you frown at him, now getting impatient.

"You tell me to come all the way out here, and yet you're more bothered with whatever the hell this book is?" you ask as he finally tilts his head upwards to look you in the eye. "Don't forget, I'm only helping you because you're friends with Oda-San, I'd be much happier babysitting those kids," you snap, finally standing up straight and hooking your mask onto your Obi belt. "Here," he finally replies, handing over a small gift-wrapped box and returning to his book. "What exactly is this?" you ask, looking at the strange item inside the box. "It's an automatic winding machine fitted with carbon steel piano wire; it can decapitate enemies in seconds, the world's lightest guillotine," he nonchalantly explains as if such a thing was normal to gift a 14-year-old. "I made it perfectly clear, that when I started helping you I wouldn't be killing anyone-" you start to say, yet get interrupted. "Just encase you need to use it, no amount of brute strength can stop it once started, not even Chuuya," He explains.

Present day...

Before you even knew it, 2 weeks went by; since you joined the Port Mafia and began working directly under Chuuya. As you expected, his hostility and distrust towards you never disappeared, not even wavered. You had yet to be sent out on any jobs as if they needed to observe you first. Instead, you went through some hellish martial arts with Chuuya. Naturally, he took great joy in showing off his skills and beating you every time. However, despite his enjoyment in beating you up, you never found yourself with serious injuries: you knew it was due to him holding back against you. Knowing you had no chance of winning, you favoured defending as many of his attacks as possible, which is easier said than done since his speed was difficult to match even for you. After all, you had built yourself to be most adept in infiltration and relying on your ability.

Currently, you were now amidst one of your training sessions with Chuuya. Naturally, he had been beating you at every turn, just like he had for the past 2 weeks.

Chuuya Roundhouse kicks you in the side, and you miserably fail to dodge or block his kick resulting in you getting knocked down to the floor again. "Honestly, don't you know how to be more gentle with a woman?" you complain, scrambling to your feet as he sends another kick towards you, which you only barely dodge due to some luck. "As if I give a shit," he responds, racing towards you; before side-kicking you in the stomach, forcing you to slam into the wall behind you. The same one you had failed to notice had been nearing each time Chuuya had hit you. Somehow you had managed to keep your balance and stay on your feet. "I see why you're the Port Mafia's strongest martial artist..." you mention, pressing your hand against your stomach. Pretending to slide sidewards towards the floor, you suddenly push yourself off the floor and kick your leg towards the back of Chuuya's knees, attempting to knock him down for once. However, before you can even react, he already has his leg up in the air, then swings it down into your shoulder, forcing you down to the floor out of surprise. "Too slow," he mocks, smirking and looking down on you and your mediocre fighting abilities.

"Am I perhaps interrupting?" a voice asks, and you sit up and look up to see Kouyou walking towards you both with a soft smile. She almost reminded you of Azalea flowers, elegant and beautiful, which hide how poisonous and deadly they are. While she first showed hostility towards you, she seems to have hidden that behind kind words and soft smiles over the week. "Ane-san," Chuuya replies, finally turning around to face her and ignoring you. "Perfect timing actually," you answer, finally on your feet again. "What's that supposed to mean?" Chuuya growls as he sends yet another kick towards your head. However, unlike the many other times, you easily dodged, surprising him and Kouyou. "I suppose your here for Mr little executive here?" you ask; as Chuuya looks at you with murderous intent, clearly furious at you jabbing at his height once again. You found it a little funny that despite it having been 4 years since you last worked for Dazai, Chuuya hadn't changed much, you questioned if he had even grown any taller since then. "Yes, you're to come along too," she replies, softly smiling at you both as if hiding some information from you. Sighing for a moment, you look at her and know it has to be Mori's orders if Kouyou is the one who's telling you. 

After a short explanation from Kouyou, it seems you were to stand guard at Mori's door while he has a meeting with Chuuya and Kouyou about what to do with you. So here you are, standing at the door, staring at those 3 sat together, discussing what to do with you. You had no interest in what they were discussing, so naturally, you zoned out, paying little attention to what was happening. "Ah, L/N-San, come closer for just a moment," Mori suddenly says; as you turn your head to look at him and see him smiling at you as if planning something. Wearily you walk closer to the table they're sitting at and stop beside Kouyou, away from Mori. "It's tradition in the Port Mafia that the person who recruits a new member is responsible for their well-being, to symbolise that they hand down one of their belongings," he explains as you look at the 2 items on the table. A pair of black gloves and a black Japanese kanzashi hairpin with red spider lilies adorning it, a flower you knew represented death, a fitting flower for someone in the Port Mafia. It was clear as day which item belonged to who. "Kouyou brought you here; however, you work directly under Chuuya, so decide for yourself," he finishes as he interlocks his fingers and rests his chin on his hands.

Hovering your hands over the gloves, you notice the annoyed looks from Chuuya. You can already tell if you picked his gloves, he'd be furious knowing you own something of his especially considering you'd be matching with him too. The thought alone makes you want to laugh; with Mori having ordered him to not harm you, there wasn't much he could do. However, you also didn't want to push his buttons too much; he was still a highly dangerous individual, and you couldn't afford to make him an enemy. Moving your hand, you take the hairpin; it was pretty; why would you not want to make such a thing yours? Tilting your head a little, you smile innocently at Chuuya while he continues to glare at you, you could tell he wanted to say something, but you presumed it was due to Mori being beside him that he remained silent. "Excellent, you're officially a part of the Port Mafia; having worked under Dazai-Kun for some time, I trust you're aware of what happens to those who betray the Port Mafia?" he questions with a cold smile. Of course, you knew, having worked under someone such a Dazai, it was nigh impossible to have not known. After all, there isn't a single person who is more so the embodiment of a ruthless mafioso, not even his old apprentice Akutagawa. "I don't know a single man whose methods are as brutal as his, so naturally, I'm aware of this," you admit, casually shrugging as if it were nothing.

It is precisely why you decide to make yourself an ally of Dazai, especially since the greatest misfortune for Dazai's enemies is that they're Dazai's enemies. As annoying as you found him at times, you could hardly say no, considering he was a dear friend of Oda's, you didn't want to...

"On that note, I'm assigning both you and Chuuya a job in 2 days," Mori mentions, bringing you back to reality and out of your thoughts. "Now, isn't that good news, Mr Executive," you playfully say while you give him a furtive smile. "Until then, you're free to do what you like," he adds, which surprises you a little until you realise they'll probably follow you around to see if you're up to something, not that it mattered to you.