Chapter 12

"Gods it must be so nice to have short hair," Zelda grumbled, wiping the sweat off her forehead before taking a seat by Link in the shade.

They had been traveling the whole day and finally made it to the Gerudo Canyon stable, and she was about ready to just give up and lie down on the side of the road.

"I could cut it for you." Link mumbled, smiling at her weakly.

"Are you alright? You look like you're going to pass out!" Zelda took one look at her companion and immediately noticed how terrible he looked. He was covered in sweat, eyes barely open, and face and neck red.

"Yeah, I just... im just not good with sudden transitions in weather or extreme temperatures." Link whispered, trying to conserve his energy.

"We'll wait until it's cooler to travel then." Zelda decided, walking over to the innkeeper and purchasing a room for the afternoon so Link could rest.

"Your friend there... is he well?" The innkeeper asked, peering over at the half-cooked Hylian resting in the shade.

"Oh, um, yes. He doesn't travel well in heat, so..." Zelda gave the innkeeper a quick smile before returning to Link, kneeling down so she was at his eye level.

"Hey, Link come on. I'm taking you to bed." Zelda pulled one of his arms, forcing him to stand.

"How is it that even though you're the princess, I always end up being the damsel in distress." Link muttered in Zelda's ear, making her chuckle.

"Let me know if you ever need a knight when you go back to Kakariko. I might get bored in the castle." Zelda whispered back, helping Link to lie down.

"Now, sleep. I will wake you when it's getting closer to nighttime." Zelda instructed.

"But-" Link protested, trying to sit up.

"No. I told you what we're doing. Now sleep." Zelda commanded, putting her foot down.

"Alright, fine." Link mumbled, lying back down and closing his eyes.

Zelda made sure he was alright before running out quickly and grabbing their bags, not trusting a single person at the inn.

Returning, she slid their things under the bed and sat down in a chair in the corner of the small room she had rented, watching Link sleep.

hopefully, he'll be alright in Gerudo. Otherwise, this might be hell for him.

A little while later, the sun was finally going down, dropping the temperature down a considerable amount. Link was awake and looking well rested, and Zelda made sure all of their things were collected and together.

"Ready to go?" Link asked, walking the horses over to the princess.

"I believe so. Off to Gerudo town then?" Zelda replied, mounting Storm.

"Off to see the 'dragon queen'." Link stated, smiling.

They started out again, taking up a nice trot as they wound their way through Gerudo Canyon and out into the valley.

Zelda took it all in as they stepped onto the path, keeping their horses at a nice pace.

Sand was everywhere, as far as the eye could see. In between the massive dunes, ruins, and small towns sat, somehow surviving the beating sun and freezing cold of their home.

They walked through the Kara Kara bazaar, admiring the beautiful weapons, fresh fruit, and delicate clothing made of fine silken material, perfect for life in the desert.

Gerudo people waved and called to the other travelers wandering the stalls, encouraging them to purchase their wares or play a game of chance, and music could be heard from across the bazaar where dancers moved like fire, leaping and swirling with ease and grace.