Chapter 40: Inbetween days

Start from the beginning

“You worry too much Nat,” stated Wanda with a soft smile.

“Maybe,” replied Natasha. “I can’t help it. I mean look at that cute little face.” She playfully squeezed her cheeks together, causing Wanda to giggle.

“You are ridiculous Mama,” laughed Wanda. Natasha’s heart lifted at hearing that word leave Wanda’s mouth, it never ceased to amaze her how that one word had the ability to effect her every time she heard it.

“Maybe,” Natasha joked again. “Now come on you should get into bed. We are up early in the morning.”

Wanda looked at her questionably as Natasha pulled back the duvet and patted the mattress in invitation. “Where are we going?”

“Wakanda,” replied Natasha. “You want answers, so we are going to go and get them for you.”

Wanda threw herself back into Natasha and wrapped her arms around her neck. “Thank you…”

Natasha just tightened her grip around the witch, savouring the moment. “Ok little witch, get some sleep.” She stroked her hair as she lowered her onto the pillow. Natasha placed a kiss to her forehead before tucking the duvet around the teenager.

“You don’t need to tuck me in,” said Wanda but there were no irritation in her voice.

“I know, sometimes I need to do it for purely my own benefit,” replied Natasha.

……………………………………………………………………………

Tony nursed the glass of Bourbon at the breakfast bar in the kitchen. This day had felt so long, and it had tired him. Pepper moved behind him and rubbed his shoulders. Tony visibly dropped his shoulders and gave in to the ministrations. She placed a kiss to his cheek, “How you doing Tones?”

“I’ve had better days,” replied Tony without his usual snark. Pepper frowned but wrapped an arm loosely around his neck.

“I’m proud of you,” whispered Pepper into his ear.

“How’s Peter?” questioned Tony.

“Pouting in his bedroom,” stated Pepper as she poured herself a glass of Bourbon from the decanter on the table. “I’ve told him we will discuss it further in the morning, as I wasn’t quite sure what to say to him.”

Steve walked into the room, “Do you mind if I join you?”

Tony just open hand gestured at the bar, while Pepper poured him a glass of bourbon as well. She gestured towards the ice, but Steve shook his head, “Neat, please.”

Pepper nodded and placed the glass in front of him. “Thanks Pepper.”

They all sat their quietly sipping at their drinks enjoying the warming burn as it made it’s way down to their stomachs. Natasha entered the kitchen and smirked as she surveyed the three of them. She walked around to the other side of the bar, grabbed a glass, and filled it with ice before pouring the bourbon into the glass. Natasha took a long sip before finally opening her mouth, “well today was interesting…”

“That’s one word for it,” replied Pepper with a tightness to her voice.

Natasha’s smile dropped slightly, “come on Pepper we need to clear the air between all of us. This tension is not good for us, and it’s not good for the kids.”