Chapter 9: Normalcy

Wanda wondered into the kitchen sleepily the next morning, and grabbed at the coffee that was already brewed. Pepper was already sat in the kitchen, with a newspaper. Peter was sat next to her devouring some toast.

“Ah Wanda, great to see you.”

“Where is everyone?” asked Wanda curiously having not seen anyone else this morning. Even Natasha’s room had been empty.

“Training exercise,” prompted Pepper. Wanda shot up in alarm, “Why wasn’t I woken up?”

“Because you my dear are spending the day with me. Natasha has entrusted me with taking you shopping. If it was left to her you would end up in cat-suits,” she joked.

“What about Parker?”

“He is coming too, his back to school wardrobe needs updating,” stated Pepper.

“I thought we were supposed to be training today, both of us,” muttered Wanda bitterly. She was very uncomfortable taking any more Stark hand-outs. “I don’t need any more clothes. I am fine with what I’ve got.”

“Nonsense,” replied Pepper. “Now grab some toast and get dressed we leave in 30 minutes.”

………………………

Wanda uncomfortably followed the pair of them through the mall. She felt very out of her depth and lost in the space. All the people were making her nervous, she never did well in crowds of people. Watching people stuff their faces in the food court, with no regard. She thought back to when she and Pietro had been starving on the streets. When they searched through dustbins for any morsel of food. Wanda watched a particularly fat man, throw half a burrito in to the bin. She wrinkled her nose in disgust.

“Wanda keep up Darling,” said Pepper from upfront. She shuddered but trotted up by her side.

“So what’s your style?” questioned Pepper warmly. Wanda just shrugged, “I don’t really have a style, I just wore whatever I could get.”

Wanda’s answer made Pepper’s heart ache, “well now you get to have a style.”

“I’m not that bothered,” answered Wanda simply. “I have enough.”

Pepper linked her arm with the teenager on side and grabbed Peter on the other, “Let me decide when you have both had enough.”

Wanda had decided she had enough in the first store, Pepper insisted she tried on everything like a Barbie doll. Clothes were just a necessity, a means to keep warm and covered. She didn’t understand why it mattered what name was on the clothes, or why a T shirt could cost more money than what she and Pietro spent on food in a month. They left the store with bags of clothes much to Wanda’s disgust. They walked through the mall, Wanda hesitated outside a music store. Pepper noticed her interest, “Do you want to have a look Wanda?”

Wanda went to shake her head, so Peter jumped in, “I would like to have a look if that’s ok Miss Potts?”

They all entered the store, there were boxes filled with sheet music and books. Wanda found herself perusing them thoughtfully.

Pepper came up behind while she was lost in thought, “Do you want to buy some?”

Wanda shook her head sharply. Pepper looked at the girl sadly, “What if I want to buy you some? I did miss your birthday.”